Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

BT TV, Please add Padding to Record

Hello BT TV,

The BT TV users on this thread are here to show support for a feature within the settings menu to allow us to add "padding to a recording" in order to address programs that are running late.

I'm going to include a couple of mods that I know, however, I'm going to stress that this forum is not for feature feedback... but let's give it a go!

@RobbieMac 

@SeanD 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT TV, Please add Padding to Record

You would be better asking here https://community.youview.com/youview/

https://community.youview.com/youview/search?Search=padding

BT Retail simply follow the main YouView platform.

If you really find it a problem, then just buy a stand alone PVR which does have padding. Alternatively use a PC with a TV card.

The free Windows software NextPvr has all the features you would ever need, including padding.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks for your quick reply.

I think the issue is that no one knows how to feedback.

We are BT customers, so if in fact it's a Youview issue, then BT needs to tackle that issue on our behalf.

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

@4KTVFan 

Bear in mind that this has been a request since Youview's inception and nowt has been done so far so the chances aren't good.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

It’s not a feature that I believe is desirable for the majority of users. Padding can cause issues if you have three scheduled recordings, one starting as another one finishes and a third overlapping both. It’s been suggested for years and common sense has prevailed; ie it has not been introduced.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 10

I want padding simply because AR does not work reliably, but as has been said it can cause issues with multiple back to back recordings, but even the effect of that varies with the platform.

I can't see it ever being added though, mainly because of the way Youview is structured as a business. If it isn't on the anticipated new 4k box then it's never going to be added.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Other recorders have successfully managed to handle the problem of overlapping timers caused by padding. I do not accept that as a valid reason to not have padding and fixed time recordings on the Youview platform.  You still have the problems of recordings clashing when programmes start early or run late.

(I think I pointed out this deficency on Day 1 of being an original triallist what seems like a lifetime ago now)

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I find it ludicrous that we are having to debate an issue that should be a non issue. Why can other suppliers get it right and YouView can’t. Surely BT is a big enough customer that some leverage can be put on YouView to remedy the matter.

With the previous supplier we had at no times did we miss the end of recordings nor did we miss the beginning of others even with back to back recordings.

please do not insult me by suggesting;

1) that I go back to my previous supplier

2) buy another PVR player

3) buy any other gadget, equipment, piece of whatever.

we are both disabled and finances don’t always stretch to purchasing remedies for something we already pay a subscription for. I should also add that our disabilities happened at 35 and 40 years of employment respectively. We were both medically retired due to progressive illnesses and not “swinging the lead like all you so called disabled folk”as was thrown at me on another thread.

/rant over

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 10

@gomezzwrote:

Other recorders have successfully managed to handle the problem of overlapping timers caused by padding. I do not accept that as a valid reason to not have padding and fixed time recordings on the Youview platform.  You still have the problems of recordings clashing when programmes start early or run late.

(I think I pointed out this deficency on Day 1 of being an original triallist what seems like a lifetime ago now)

I mostly agree with you @gomezz regarding overlapping, Sky has been the best system that I've used but even then there was the odd occasion when it nearly went into meltdown due to overlapping. However, I obviously only ever noticed that when I was watching live, when the box was off it coped and I can't recall short recordings ever being a problem. 

Presumably Youview thought there was a technical solution that didn't need padding, trying to be the first etc, it doesn't work properly but they're going to stick to their guns.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

There are a couple of issue for me here;

I own a BT UHD box, so I expect that to do the job, not another piece of kit.  The problem I have at times is losing the end of a recording.  This is not due to a clash with another programme.  As said, Sky boxes have this option for years. 

As for causing problems with multiple recording overlaps, a few lines of software code can easily cure that, with a set up option of 'which takes priority', ending one programme, or starting a second.  "If no scheduled recording is in place after the ongoing one, extend recording for 5 minutes" for example