cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT TV Pro Box - 4K mixed up/dull colours

Hey there!

Having switched from Virgin 360 that had no issues with my TV and 4K HDR to BT TV Pro I find that both the 8bit and 10bit are horrible to watch since the colours are so much mixed up/faded.

I also have Sky in another room and that works perfectly too but since you can only get 1 main box with Sky I needed alternatives as I require my own storage in my bedroom!

I have a Tosbiba 55” tv (VESTEL) vases which works fine with my Nvidia Shield TV, my XBOX One… it may be a VESTEL but it works flawlessly, supports HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision.

Selecting 4K in the display option and choosing either 8bit or 10bit displays a mixed up, some dull coloured images - for example the record icon and Netflix icon is more on the verge of pink rather than red 

Selecting 1080p and down provides a full colour picture but then limits me to 1080p in on demand apps and ultimate.

I am so glad BT has a 14 day cooling off period because if this stays this way and the broadband doesn’t improve (tons of buffering) I’ll just be getting a bog standard Freeview box 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT TV Pro Box - 4K mixed up/dull colours

Have you tried the main Sky box on the same tv for HDR?

I'm not seeing this issue at all on any of the set-top-boxes - but seems to be a common issue in the Sky forums.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Yes, I’ve tried the Sky Q box with HDR,  There’s quite a few Sky Cinema titles that are on demand (download to box) that are in HDR, no issues there.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Sky uses HLG which is different to the BT used version of HDR - it may be you need to re-config for the BT box.

I don't see any issues with either of the HDR versions.

@RichieUKwrote:

Yes, I’ve tried the Sky Q box with HDR,  There’s quite a few Sky Cinema titles that are on demand (download to box) that are in HDR, no issues there.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

My tv switches between HDR automatically if there’s a HDR signal, there’s no manual override — however the colours being messed up obviously means it’s pushing out a HDR signal even if there isn’t HDR content in which is a terrible move from BT/YouView

So glad I’m in my 14 days cooling off period - being stuck with a poorly designed (software) is not what I wanna be stuck with for 2 years 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

My tv automaitcally switches too but you can manually override it although I don't see why you would want to.

Ignoring the apps - on the Pro Box here it only switches to HDR  when I go to channel 465 and the picture is spot on. As soon as I switch sway the tv drops the HDR message on the info status.

You either have a faulty box or the setup is not right - I see no-one else reporting this issue here - although a lot are on the Sky forums.

@RichieUKwrote:

My tv switches between HDR automatically if there’s a HDR signal, there’s no manual override — however the colours being messed up obviously means it’s pushing out a HDR signal even if there isn’t HDR content in which is a terrible move from BT/YouView

So glad I’m in my 14 days cooling off period - being stuck with a poorly designed (software) is not what I wanna be stuck with for 2 years 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I work in IT and the Media industry, I know my setup is perfectly fine! Out of ALL my equipment the BT box is the only one that acts this way.

Time to ring BT tomorrow and go back to Virgin 360 and pay the extra

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I work in both too - which is why I suggested a faulty box as I know the Box Pro works here and not seen any other reports.

I don't have that issue when trying HDR on the BT, SkyQ or either of the Virgin boxes. Although the Sky box does HLG.

Have tried on Samsung and Panasonic tvs.

Does you BT box stay in HDR mode when on a normal channel - if it does it implies faulty equipment.

@RichieUKwrote:

I work in IT and the Media industry, I know my setup is perfectly fine! Out of ALL my equipment the BT box is the only one that acts this way.

Time to ring BT tomorrow and go back to Virgin 360 and pay the extra

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Same as ozsat here. The tv only switches to HDR when proper HDR content is being broadcast so you have something set wrong (LG OLED tv here). I know it is something you have to be careful with on AppleTV4K as that can be set to HDR when the source isn’t and makes things look bad.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Just got a pro box,and if i use Netflix or Prime video i never get an on screen message to say HDR is detected,like i do on Nvidia Shield or Ps4.Also Netflix and Prime video will only play UHD when 8 bit is selected.I am confused!!!

0 Ratings