cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT TV Pro Wifi with no smarthub

I currently use a non BT router and access points (Ubiquiti networks Unifi kit instead).

Are there any gotchas for the BT TV Pro only accessing smarthub wifi or has anyone successfully connected to a non BT router/ access point?  Maybe some multicast setting that might need t be applied?

My existing setup uses power line adapters which are mostly ok but have a tendency to lose connection (normally when I'm just about to sit down and watch the rugby!).  I suspect it's the electrics although I believe a previous owner did do some extensive re-wiring.  Worth noting that I have the same issues when I used the BT HH.

Many thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT TV Pro Wifi with no smarthub

I haven't tried using wifi - but I have successfully got it working via ethernet

I've detailed my approach on reddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/s0pxqi/bt_tv_pro_hh_with_halo_3_and_udm_pro/ 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for the reddit link.  I took the plunge and ordered the new Pro box last night so we will see how it goes.

I'll also reply to that reddit link as I'm intrigued how the HH <> USG worked. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

I have a Fritzbox 7530 router & the Pro Box doesn't even see it's SSID. BT do say that WiFi will only work with their routers but no idea how that's implemented. Although the Pro Box can see one of my neighbour's TalkTalk APs.

I also suspect that there's an issue with the aerials in my Box as the SSIDs it can see all have very low signal compared to other devices in the same location. Haven't seen any other reports of that.

I'm connected via an 8 port hub to D-Link Powerline adapters with no issues, although that's only 1080. I think I'd be inclined to try another set of adapters first in your situation. Buy from Amazon & you can always return them if they don't improve your connection.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Thanks,

I've tried the BT powerline adapters when we first moved in - mini connector v2s - and I've now replaced them with Extender Flex 1000 kit - but still suffering from dropouts.

Part of the problem seemed to be my G2 CK (Cloud Key running the controller software)  was plugged into a switch which then connected to the USG via a powerline adapter with another powerline connecting the TV box but I since moved this all around so that it was USG > switch > powerline > TV box with the G2 CK connected to the switch.

That improved streaming performance and reduced the dropouts but there's still the odd times. 

Will report back when I get the new Pro box

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Well I'm pleased to say that was relatively painless but some gotchas.

APs are U6 Lites, a Flex HD and an older AC-Lite which was powered down

BT Pro TV box arrived & intended to setup wireless only but no SSIDs detected on scan. hmmm not a good start

So plugged into ethernet and updated firmware, rebooted and tried again.

Still no SSIDs on scan.  My APs don't support WPS of course so call to BT Support who advised me that the BT Pro Box doesn't support wifi6.  I would have thought that the U6 Lites should be backwards compatible.  The FlexHD isn't wifi6 so I don't know why there are no SSIDs being detected...

Either way, I powered on the AC-Lite and boom, there's my SSID.  Connected fine and then tested BT Sport.

Very poor & pixelated so went into the wifi settings on the UNIFI controller and enabled multicast enhancement.

Tested again and nice clear picture.

Bit puzzled by the lack of SSID detection and will look into this further.

Annoyingly the AC-Lite is currently right next to the Flex.  I could move it but this involves cabling/ trunking and drilling through walls which I was trying to avoid.  Oh well...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

The non-detection of SSIDs is a bit of a mystery, at least to me. It's certainly not a WiFi6 issue as my router doesn't support that either.

I reconfigured my setup yesterday as a couple of other devices were struggling on WiFi. So I replaced the Netgear switch in my AV cab with an Edimax router in AP mode. The BT Box can see that & connected after a couple of failed attempts.  I don't have any BT TV services but streaming live content from Now was fine. So together with your experience, the line about it only working with BT Smarthubs seems to be tosh.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

hmmm...interesting, thanks!

to be fair, when I spoke to BT sales about whether the Pro box supported 3rd party routers they did say yes.

I've done some further testing:

I created x3 new SSIDs and corresponding AP groups for 1) the U6-Lites, 2) the FlexHD and 3) the legacy AC-Lite.

Both the AC-Lite and FlexHD SSIDs were detected but not the U6 SSID so I was thinking that  def points to a wifi6 issue however I will have to review that after your comment and have a closer look at the U6 lite specs.  The engineer I spoke did say that the wifi6 data rates may be too high

NB In addition other older devices like my 2012 MBP, PS4 and printer didn’t see the U6 SSID

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

I'm not familiar with those APs but could they perhaps be configured for WiFi 6 only?    

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

They are supposed to be backwards compatible & I have checked on the Unifi controller which is showing me currently that these APs are broadcasting NG & AX and I have a number of clients connected either NG or AC

But what I didn't do is check what happens when I have the separate SSIDs and separate AP groups.

I was thinking maybe the legacy AC Lite needed to be on the mesh but that's broadcasting NG & AC which is the same as the FlexHD which was part of the original mesh.  Very odd.

Will try and do some more testing over the weekend but I get moaned at lol

0 Ratings