Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hughesged
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT TV Ultra HD box crashing

Go to solution
Have an DTRT4000 4k box which has just started crashing if you attempt to view an existing recording after showing a blank screen. Also when trying to record by pressing the 'R' button on the remote the box crashes. Can see the recordings but when attempting to play any past recording just a blank screen and then a crash. Was working fine last night - bug ridden software drop overnight?
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT TV Ultra HD box crashing

Go to solution

i doubt whether there was any software update last night as none has been announced for that box recently although  occasionally  there  are updates to iSp configuration that occur.

If I was to speculate it seems  your box is having difficulty when accessing the hard drive either in reading previously recorded data or in writing fresh recordings.

When  the box crashes what actually occurs , is it simply unresponsive  to commands or does it launch int a reboot cycle.

the following link 

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/6251537/top-tip-soft-reset-reboot-power-cycling-mai...

describes a sequence of steps tha can be undertaken different a Youview box is performing unexpectedly.

Ii would certainly suggest try the soft reset/reboot and power cycle to see  if you get it resolved ?

0 Ratings
hughesged
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
If I try to record anything or view a recording the box 'dies' ... lights off, nobody at home! I power it off and on to reboot .. then fine until I try to record or play a recording again.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Well that doesn't look promising . you are probably at the stage where you need to perform one or more of the maintenance mode resets.

However I would be inclined to check first whether you are able to rewind the programme you currently watching  live and playback successfully , also whether the pause and resume playback works for on live channel viewing,

0 Ratings
hughesged
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
Tried the 'maintenance' startup ... not working .. just starts up !
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@hughesged I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your BT TV Youview box, did you follow these instructions? I'd recommend you try the keep recordings option in the first instance.

1.Turn the power off then back on again using the switch found on the back of your box. A red light should appear on the front panel
2.Press and hold the down arrow button on top of your box for five seconds until you see 'Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N' at the bottom of the screen
3.When you see this, press the standby/power button on top of your box
4.After a few seconds you'll see the 'Maintenance Mode' menu. Choose and select either Factory Reset, keep recordings or Factory Reset, delete recordings using the arrow buttons
5.Try keeping recordings first but if you still have problems, we recommend completing the 'Factory Reset, delete recordings' option
6.The reset will take a few minutes. Once done, you'll see the first time set up screens. Just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
hughesged
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
Did the 'maintenence' reboot and 'factory reset keeping recordings'. Apart from an initial reset of settings the recording issue remains. Made no difference. I cannot record nor play any recordings without a blank screen then seconds later the box 'dies'. I'm reluctant to do a factory reset that will delete the recordings I wish to keep and not convinced that will resolve the recording issue. Any other options?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@hughesged I'm afraid the only option left is to do a full reset by deleting the recordings. If that doesn't work you'll likely need a new box and will lose the recordings anyway, sorry.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
hughesged
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I fear you are correct, the recordings are effectively lost. I will try a factory reset deleting recordings but I suspect this will fail too as it is possible the hard drive has failed - hence the powering off when attempting to record anything new as well as retrieving old recordings. Full factory reset it is then. Failing that a new box!

0 Ratings
hughesged
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Full factory reset worked - to an extent ! Can now record but have lost all my previous recordings - which is annoying and not an hard drive issue - so some sort of bug. However now I'm getting a BTP-160 error for all subscription channels including BT Sport ... marvellous. Lost all my recordings and now lost my subscription channels. Phoned the Helpdesk after a lengthy wait and they have a problem with their system so I have to phone back later! Marvellous !

0 Ratings