Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brimar
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT TV Upgrade

Go to solution

I have been a BT TV user for many years using the BT Box.

I have recently changed my package to one of the new ones which includes Now TV. The package has been moved to my " OLD " TV Box, and all seems to be working OK.

BT have sent me a " NEW " box, as they do when you upgrade your package. Is there any difference in this box compared to the " OLD " box? Can I just keep using the " OLD " box?

I ask, because, I have recordings on the " OLD " box, that I don't want to loose.

I have spoken to someone at BT, but he didn't seem to comprehend what I was talking about.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT TV Upgrade

Go to solution

@brimar 

There are basically 3 Youview boxes.

There's the original , chunky, DTR1000 which is not supported now.

The current ones are the DTR2100 which is 500GB and HD but not 4k/UHD capable and finally the DTR4000 which is the 4k/UHD unit with either 500GB or 1TB capacity.

It's likely they've given you a new DTR2100 which will be the same as your existing unit. Functionally they are identical but the one you have now is yours to keep but the new one is on loan and must be returned if you cancel your contract.

Whatever you do don't return your existing unit , if want to keep it or sell it, as it yours regardless of what you might get told by any support staff.

0 Ratings
brimar
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank's for that Tim. You are quite right, the one I am using is a DTR 2100. This is working perfectly OK, and I don't understand why BT has sent me a new one. This is what I was trying to explain to the support person, but, he did not understand what I was trying to say.

I am surprised that you are telling me NOT to return the one that I am using at the moment. BT have told me that I am being sent a Returns Package to use to return it.

Am I obliged to return it, or NOT?

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@brimarwrote:

I don't understand why BT has sent me a new one

Some of the older boxes don't support the newer apps and no longer get updates, if it works and you're happy then keep using it.

@brimarwrote:

Am I obliged to return it, or NOT?

If you had the box before December 2019, the equipment is yours to keep, BT will send a returns kit to take care of the recycling automatically, you may keep the box if you prefer.
The new box is on loan, that would need returned in the event you choose to cancel BT TV.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@brimar 

This is something that gets raised quite a lot on here.

Some friends of mine switched from BT to another ISP and because they had previously been supplied with a Youview box were asked to return it. They did return it and then had to go and buy another , albeit superior, PVR .

Because that happened to them , returning it unnecessarily, I'm keen to point that out to anyone else asked/told to return equipment that they're not always obliged by the T&Cs to do so.

0 Ratings
brimar
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thank's Richie. You have been a great help.

0 Ratings
brimar
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thank's Curtis. I will not return my " old " box, and see what happens.

0 Ratings