Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sparklygal74
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT TV and router problem HELP!

Hi, 

Just received my BT TV Box. It’s not possible to run the ethernet cable to my router. I don’t really want to pay £90 for a mini connector. So my question is: Can I unplug my router from the hub so I can bring it closer to where my television set is and connect the router wirelessly to the hub? Or is there a connector I can buy to plug router and phone into same phone socket?

TIA 👍🏻

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT TV and router problem HELP!

@Sparklygal74 

The mini connectors are available at a subsidised rate of £20, to BT TV customers. Just request them from BT.

You cannot use a wireless connection.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

0 Ratings
Marvel64
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

I use a Vonets VAP11N wireless bridge plugged inro my BT TV box which gives a wireless connection to my router. I've been using it for 3 months now without any issues to watch BT Sports channels.

When I first got the TV box I couldn't get the sports channels to activate for the first time with the Vonets. I used netplugs to get it started, then unplugged them and I've been using the Vonets ever since.

My router is in the hall and my TV is in the lounge. I can't guarantee this solution will work for everyone, but it works for me.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

@Marvel64 

Do you have the SmartHub 2 by any chance as I think that might work over wifi for BT Sport etc?

0 Ratings
Marvel64
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Yes it is a smart hub 2
0 Ratings
Les-Gibson
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

If you have Complete Wi-Fi (the black discs), you can connect an ethernet cable between the disc and the box

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

@Sparklygal74 

Obviously you can use the adapters that have been mentioned or if you do have a SmartHub 2 then wireless connectivity is possible so let use know what router you have.

You mention both a router & a hub so I'm a little confused by that, maybe you can clarify your setup.

0 Ratings
Marvel64
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Bt call it a hub, to me it's also a router. It's a single black box anyway with the BT logo on. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

@Marvel64 

Just realised you were replying to a post that's 9 months old so really of no further relevance as it's probably safe to assume that PLAs were the solution.

0 Ratings
Marvel64
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Would still be useful in a keyword search

0 Ratings