cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirstyanne91
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT TV box error

I have a BT tv box, but not tv package. My tv box seems to have broken overnight and this morning I have had the youview loading page for an hour I have tried resetting it by turning off on the back but still no change. Last night it was working ok. Have noticed that the only app I’ve been able to open for the last few weeks was Netflix, and when I was watching a recording it would freeze and then skip a little. I have only have the box for a year so hoping it’s not broken.  Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT TV box error

Turn it off for about 30 seconds then turn it back on and listen very carefully, if you hear any soft, repetetive clicks or other noises coming from it then the chances are that the hard drive has failed

0 Ratings
Kirstyanne91
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hello, 

Yes there are some clicks but sounds more like it’s coming from the tv rather than the box. 
What does it mean that the hard drive is gone? Is it fixable or will I need a brand new box? 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

If the hard drive has gone faulty then the box won't boot up.

It might possible to replace it but the new drive will probably need formatting and I have no idea what format it requires, Google may be able to tell you.

EDIT:

This may help, there are some posts best ignored but I'm sure you'll understand what I mean when you see them

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/6931694/it-is-easy-to-replace-a-failed-hard-drive-i...

0 Ratings
jilly3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

As it "happened overnight" it could be a bad software update, as they tend to happen through the night.

You can try resetting the software depending on which box you have.

I have a t4000 and t2100, both reset by switching off the power at the mains, then holding the down arrow on the top of the box while powering back on, an onscreen prompt will ask if you want to enter maintenance mode, hit the power button to say yes, then choose the software reset option.

You can also wipe the drive from this menu too, but you will lose recordings if you do. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 6 of 6

@Kirstyanne91 

The details of the maintenance mode option that @jilly3 refers to can be found here.  Try options 2 and 4 first but if they don't help it might have to be option 5 which is the nuclear option of a total wipe & reset.

Replacing the hard drive is quite a simple process that @Anonymous refers to and he's right about ignoring some of the posts in that thread as there are those on that forum who very quickly take a thread off track as you'll see.

0 Ratings