cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT TV box won't connect to WiFi

I have a BT youview box that I've never been able to get to connect to the WiFi. I've tried via WPS (nothing happens) or via WiFi scan. With the latter, a list of neighbours' wifis appear but not mine. Ironically my WiFi extender appears in the list but the signal is too weak to connect (it's at the other end of the flat).

My router is a BT smart hub 2, in the same room as the youview box. There's nothing wrong with the router itself - any other device can connect to its WiFi.

I've reset the youview box and returned it to factory settings but still nothing.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT TV box won't connect to WiFi

Which TV Box is it?  There are pictures and set up details here:

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/set-up-bt-tv

Is it a mini or pro?  I thought only they had wifi connections.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@Mjs1981 

The Pro Box can only operate on 5GHz so make sure that is enabled on the SH2. If it is, try a setting the channel manually to 44 or below.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

If it's a pro or mini I would

• Check that 5GHz Wi-Fi is enabled on the Smart Hub
  • If it already is, try separating/splitting the two Wi-Fi bands (2.4 and 5GHz).  Give them slightly different SSID (names) by adding say a 5 or 2
  • The look for 5GHz one only
  • The pro only does 5GHz - which is much better for speed/interference when in same room.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@g0akc 

You can't split SSIDs on the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Okay - that's a shame, I somehow thought you could - ignore that bit then - just turn off 2.4GHz temporarily, if you can, instead.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks all. The TV box is a Pro not a mini.

I'll fiddle around with the 2.4/5ghz on the smart hub and see if that makes a difference.

0 Ratings