cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 91 of 105

Re: BT TV falling behind

Leaving sport aside for a moment @4KTVFan , BT do not make programmes and neither do Virgin, Sky do and that is the significant difference. BT as far as I'm aware, has always been 'off the shelf' content. Their sport offering lacks depth but that's what happens when you come to the party late.

I would say that the addition of Now TV with recording, and the flexibility, is an improvement. I've only been with BT TV for 3 years after 20 years with Sky, it has saved me a significant amount of money. But as I've said before, you get what you pay for.

The loss of certain channels with Now TV is a downside, but only for those who want those channels. I would think that's solely down to Skys broadcasting deals and it'ls nothing that BT can change.

I get that you want the best quality HDR, 4k etc, but the bells and whistles are niche and are likely to be for years to come. Hence, providers such as BT are in no rush. Even then there's the difference in quality between the various forms, and the fact that the quality will decline as they become more popular.

I remember when I first had HD, Eurosport would sometimes use 'Native HD' in their OSG logo. I watched a swimming championships and the picture blew me away. Slowly but surely the picture quality seemed to decline, the BBC HD channel took a lot of criticism for the same. I've watched some broadcasts in HDR on the BT Sport app and every time the I prefer the picture on Ultimate.

The bottom line is BT is mainly a carrier, aside from that there won't be a radical increase of 4k, HDR content. I'm still waiting for the day that the 'national' broadcaster can provide my local news in HD. HD is still far from being the standard. 

It would be very interesting to know if an entire years viewing figures, across all channels, were analysed and split by content definition.

I fully understand where you're coming from in having to sign a 2 year broadband contract in order to have BT TV,  not knowing what BT will be offering technically in terms of their TV in that 2 years, but to me I can't see the content being readily available irrespective of the hardware.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 92 of 105

@Andy005 

My point about content was that BT no longer want to negotiate deals, they want to buy that content in from a party that does done the content deal.

I feel I should make something clear, as I'm sensing some of my comments are not coming across correctly.

My frustration is less to do with the new NowTV service, I completely get why they have done it and it makes perfect financial sense for BT in many ways.

I think the point I keep trying to make, and feel I'm doing a bad job, is the fact that BT keeps changing it's position.

My point is that I left SKY because of the direction BT was taking at the time, 4K, Dolby Atmos, etc.

BT now seem to be taking a different direction, which is fine, and makes sense for a lot of customers, but it's a different one to one I was originally attracted to, it comes back to me point about BT not really knowing how to position it's TV service, it feels like every 12 months the position changes, which is why I keep on about the length of commitment we now have to make with our contracts.

For example, what if decide to move to one of the new NowTV packages because I like the flexibility of the packages with the ability to turn them on and off each month, so I sign up for 2 years!

Then in a year, imagine things are not working out for BT, imagine the new packages haven't attracted the subscriber numbers BT had hope, and BT discover they are losing a lot of revenue via customers cancelling parts of their package on a regular basis and therefore decide to retire the option! 🙂

I would still have a year left on my contract and be left waiting yet again to see what changes where in store for the service!

That's my point it's so hard to try and understand where BT is headed sometimes with the services.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 93 of 105

I do understand your points @4KTVFan  but as has been been mentioned before significant changes would allow you to leave penalty free. I also understand that leaving isn't the preferred option, I've had it myself when a business changes the terms, which I don't like and I have the option to leave. I look at the alternatives and they aren't that attractive.

The bottom line is they are a business, as such they will change their position if they feel they need to. I would also say this, comments on this forum are unlikely to change their approach, particularly when the number of posters is compared to the number of customers.

You have to accept that there could be changes to your service that you don't like, we all tick the box though to accept the T&Cs whether or not we have read them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 94 of 105

I feel it only fair to mention that these longer contract terms are unfortunately the new way of doing things. Sky also tie you into a lengthy initial deal. I don't like it any more than the next man but it's sadly how it is now. 

I've only been with Sky since January and in that time I've saw the basic entry level pack change 3 times already. The most recent one which includes Netflix (effectively giving it to me free as I was then able to stop paying Netflix direct) worked out to be much better value for me, thankfully. At least BT don't change things that often 😎 

If BT still had Alibi etc I'd be better off taking BT's VIP package, although I'd have to sacrifice some UHD/HDR available on Sky.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 95 of 105

@robotman1 

Completely agree with you.

Yes, SKY and Virgin Media have their own issues.

This for me has never been about trying to show how poorly BT is compared to SKY or Virgin Media.

Firstly it would be poor forum etiquette as this is BT official forum.

And secondly, for me, it's ALL about BT, and what they are doing, or not doing.

Sometimes you do have to mention other companies as an example.

So as you say "I feel it only fair mention", I've just right now checked SKY and Virgin Media and they both other 18 month TV contracts.

Maybe BT has missed a trick here?

Maybe along with their new flexible packages they should have looked at more "flexible" contracts, maybe allowing you some scope to reduce or extend your mid term?

Maybe that would have resonated strongly with consumers?

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 96 of 105

@4KTVFanwrote:

@robotman1 

Completely agree with you.

Yes, SKY and Virgin Media have their own issues.

This for me has never been about trying to show how poorly BT is compared to SKY or Virgin Media.

Firstly it would be poor forum etiquette as this is BT official forum.

And secondly, for me, it's ALL about BT, and what they are doing, or not doing.

Sometimes you do have to mention other companies as an example.

So as you say "I feel it only fair mention", I've just right now checked SKY and Virgin Media and they both other 18 month TV contracts.

Maybe BT has missed a trick here?

Maybe along with their new flexible packages they should have looked at more "flexible" contracts, maybe allowing you some scope to reduce or extend your mid term?

Maybe that would have resonated strongly with consumers?

Good morning @4KTVFan 

Agreed. I believe BT had been doing 18 month contracts which didn't seem to hit a nerve as much as what 24 month contracts have done. Maybe it's the way my mind works but 18 months doesn't really 'seem' to be that long a period, whereas in my head 24 months becomes '2 years', and that somehow feels so much longer, even if it is only by 6 months.

For me the ultimate package would be one that provides everything both BT and Sky offer in terms of content/resolution etc and where the provider offering the best deal(s) wins. Of course that's never going to happen, but a man can dream 😁

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 97 of 105

I am realise that I'm going off at a bit of a tangent here, but 2 things interest me about the 24 mth contract issue:

First, in deciding to go down this route, what do BT hope to achieve?  Increased revenue from more customers breaching longer contracts or"forced loyalty" from customers dissuaded from looking elsewhere by the penalties of leaving?  Neither seems particularly healthy to me in terms of a good customer-supplier relationship where the customer feels trapped.

Secondly, what is the industry regulator's view?  These binding mechanisms amongst other so-called service providers are often deemed anti-competitive and in due course are legislated against.

I feel BT have missed a trick here.  Rather than a change to 24 mths which was bound to be received as negative for the ordinary customer, there was an opportunity to offer a (token) loyalty scheme for customers at renewal time.  This would have had the appearance of a balanced approach instead of a one-sided, punitive one. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 98 of 105

@Longshanks0511 

Completely agree!

If you start to question the need to keep increasing the length of a contract, it does start to raise plenty of questions.

Are BT's customer acquisition costs so much higher than SKY and Virgins that they need to keep a customer for 24 months just to recoup?

Is BT TV's customer churn rate so poor that they have to lock customers in for 2 years?

Or, do they feel that they won't remain competitive for much longer so need to lock customers in now.

I believe Vodafone a few years ago done a special Student broadband deal of 6 months, you had to pay for the modem up front, but the deal was 6 months, and the overall price was good.

I believe from reading reports at the time that is was very popular!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 99 of 105

@robotman1 

Great summary, you echo my sentiments exactly. The other points worth noting is BT TV (or Sky Lite as you put it) no longer gives you HD access to ITV, C4 or C5 + 1 or catch up in HD.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 100 of 105

As far as I'm aware the +1 channels were never in HD via BT. Same with HD on demand.