cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 105

BT TV falling behind

So some news that just shows how BT TV is falling behind.

It looks like Virgin Media UK is gearing up for a new TV hardware launch.

Virgin Media UK Preps Next Gen TV 360 Service for Launch

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/08/virgin-media-uk-preps-next-gen-tv-360-service-for-laun...

A new 4K WiFi and HDR capable box was expect from BT TV at the start of this year, yet nothing happened.

*** Edit ***

And multi-Room, the new box was rumoured to offer a better multi-room experience by allowing customers to view content on the main box on another multi-room box.

To be honest, BT TV current Multi-room experience, (which I currently pay £5 a month for) is now dead in the water given the new NowTV packages!

It feels like BT TV is falling behind, why does it matter?

Will get all comes down to BT TV's current insistence that customers take out a 24 month contract for both TV and the required Broadband, that's 2 years of consumer commitment, yet in return BT TV's roadmap of channels, features, price point, and value for money seems less and less defined as each months passes!

0 Ratings
104 REPLIES 104
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 105

Re: BT TV falling behind

How do you know what's going to happen in the next 24 months? There's a reason that things aren't announced quite a while in advance - competition. Would you really want your competitors knowing what you're doing?

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 3 of 105

The problem with our set top box offering is well understood within the BT TV team @4KTVFan. We're working as fast as circumstances allow.
I would argue that the content is better than it's ever been though - with full access to Now TV, Amazon Prime, and Netflix, available from BT, we're now offering more content than ever before. On a more flexible basis than ever before too.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 105

It depends @4KTVFan on what criteria you are using to judge that they are falling behind. If for example, you take the user experience, then as far as I can tell they've always been behind and always will be as long as they use the Youview platform. I've never had a STB with so many bugs, especially where recording is concerned.

On the other hand, you have to factor in cost, and up to the point before Now TV I would say that BT TV was good value for money. When it's good value for money then you can sometimes expect to have the problems that Youview brings, you get what you pay for, generally speaking.

0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 105

@DarrenDevwrote:
The problem with our set top box offering is well understood within the BT TV team @4KTVFan. We're working as fast as circumstances allow.
I would argue that the content is better than it's ever been though - with full access to Now TV, Amazon Prime, and Netflix, available from BT, we're now offering more content than ever before. On a more flexible basis than ever before too.

I agree, plus I have a new Samsung TV and sound bar so I have additional quality sound and extra apps, so less reliant on the BT TV Box.
Nevertheless, for me, the drawback of the new Now TV packages is the loss of the channels on my current Mak 4K package. If I took out the VIP package, then adding on the additional subscriptions I would need, I would be paying approx £75 pm. At those prices, it’s comparable with a package from Sky. Plus with Sky, those additional channels would be included within the EPG. 
So, decisions, decisions.

Stew

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 105

Well my post seems to have hit a nerve with BT @DarrenDev 

Let me stress that when I make any post here on the forums, it is NOT intended to belittle BT or to entice forum members away from BT to another TV service.

I've just checked my email for my original start date with BT and can see that I have now been a continuous customer of theirs for just over 4 years.

However, I stand by my post, and I do so with the greatest respect to you @DarrenDev , and all the BT Mods on here.

I read your reply @DarrenDev  about more choice than ever, and this is my point, (and I hope that some other forums members will agree with me), I disagree!

With the greatest respect, I think these forums are perhaps one of the best feedback mechanisms BT has, yet I can't help feeling BT are simply ignoring what customers are saying.

The new NowTV packages are a complete misfire!

You got it wrong BT!

Listen to ALL the feedback from your customers on these forums!

You have constantly been LATE with service roll outs!

I believe the new NowTV service was 2 years LATE!

The NEW 4K TV box, again, is LATE!

Prices are going up, contract periods are getting longer!

My point is a simple one, you are asking me as a customer to commit to increased prices and longer contracts, OKAY, I get it, fine. ALL I ask for in return is some clarity on the "vision", where the service is going in return for committing to 2 years with BT, that's my point, and as a company you should understand and respect that.

I would NOT sign with SKY or Virgin unless I thought they would be offering progressive services.

BT, you really need to take a step back and take I long hard look at the last 2 years, it's been a mess!

And you aren't making it any easier for your customers to stay loyal and increase their services and spending with you.

Rant over! And we are all still best of friends, even if we have different opinions! 🙂 

DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 7 of 105

No nerve hit with the original post @4KTVFan - I took it as a genuine comment, to which I replied with my opinion.
The follow up was nothing more than a rant though - that many exclamation marks just weakens the message and loses the audience. There are many things incorrect about what you've said, but I can already see I'm onto a losing battle even trying to respond. So I won't.

Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 105

@DarrenDevwrote:

I can stream all the above without a BTTV subscription. Regarding Now TV channels I can dip in and out monthly at a cheaper price than subscribing through BT, all be it without recording capability. So personally, without the latter, what is the benefit of subscribing through BT?

Now if I was able to mix the legacy channels with the Now TV channels that would be a game changer. Only you may know why this is, but I think many of us here may know the reason. As it is, personally, I can't see the point of staying with BT at the end of my contract, which is sad as I've been with BT since the early days of BT vision.

DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 9 of 105

Surprised at you saying it'd be cheaper when not through BT @Hunter2660 as my understanding is that it should be the same price. The key benefit is getting everything in one place, one bill, one supplier, one search engine finding content across all suppliers ... plus the YouView box providing all the other TV features.

Plus there's also access to BT Sport at the best possible quality, with all the enhanced features.

If you're not getting any benefit from BT though, I totally agree - there's no reason to stay.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 105

@Hunter2660wrote:

Regarding Now TV channels I can dip in and out monthly at a cheaper price than subscribing through BT, all be it without recording capability. So personally, without the latter, what is the benefit of subscribing through BT?

About to be a relatively moot point though, the entertainment pass is going to £9.99 from September so the £10 with BT is probably better value with the recording. On the higher passes they are already better value plus the higher ones have additional BT Sport content as well. Arguably the BT packages are actually better value for money

0 Ratings