cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StavrosT
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT TV inconsistent recordings

Anyone else finding the BT TV box to be a bit disappointing?

I've been finding random recordings fail, with only a vague 'failed to record' message shown.

There's no other info provided and calling BT for help results in a generic fob off that they don't know what's wrong.

It occurs on both the freeview channels and internet based channels (BT Sport) and doesnt appear to follow any obvious pattern. I have been lucky enough to catch it on a few occasions and I've been unable to see an reason. The box is working, the internet it working for other devices, the BT TV box shows 'connected' to the internet, the channel that should be recording is available and working.

All very odd.

Anyway, what made me sufficiently irritated to post about it is due to a further occurrence today?

Recordings were failing again and I happend to take a look. when entering the initial 'menu' thing, the 'quick guide' showed an error: YVM401.

The main guide & and this 'quick guide' are empty and no programmes are shown on any channel.

Manually pressing 'record' on any channel fails with a generic message saying it cannot record, even though I can clearly see the channel is fine.

Tried rebooting the TV box but made no difference. Called support was told to factory reset my internet router. Pointed out that this is a pain in the **bleep**, id lose all my settings etc and didnt make sense but was told to do it anyway. Pointed out that the internet was working fine and all devices were connected fine, including the BT TV box (status shows connected, iPlayer works etc.)

When questioned if they meant a reboot I was advised that a reboot and a factory reset is the same thing. Not a great start 😞

I rebooted the internet box, didn't appear to fix the issue. I was then asked to reboot the TV box. it now appears to work. No idea why it didnt and seems baffling that rebooting a working internet box (and then the TV box) would fix it.

Anyone else having these kind of issues? If I'm not confident that I can trust my box to record scheduled programmes, why am I paying for this service?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT TV inconsistent recordings

Hi @StavrosT 

welcome to the community .

Couple of questions 

How new a box and BT Tv service is this  ?

Is this a problem from week 1 or a problem that has occurred after an initial period of working normally.

When you mention "Tried rebooting the TV box but made no difference." after the YVM401 error 

was this via the power off switch at back of box or by holding the power button for 8 seconds on the top of the Youview box ?

0 Ratings
StavrosT
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi!

I've had the service around 6 months and it's been happening pretty much since the start.

Tried both a 'hold the button down' reboot and the full reboot via power switch.

Just for my info, is there a difference between the two from a rebooting point of view?

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Hi @StavrosT 

Thanks for clarifying.

There is an excellent historic post from Keith on the Youview community

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/6251537/top-tip-soft-reset-reboot-power-cycling-mai...

which describes the various resets available 

0 Ratings
StavrosT
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Cool. thanks.

So about this recoding issue then. I've had a play and it appears the entire box depends on the internet. How odd.

Even though a channel is working, a recording is set for a particular time and the box is fine, has space etc. it simply wont try to record if the internet is down. That's madness. I understand there are clever signals sent by broadcasters now etc, but surely in the absence of these it would have the sense to just start recording at the publicised time?

Even manual recordings don't work. madness.

Anyway, as noted, although this occurred with my internet deliberately down, to see what would happen, previous issues have occurred when my internet is working fine. Other devices could access it and even the BT TV box itself could (BBC Iplayer worked fine.)

Why on earth do some recordings just fail??

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

If your Guide/miniguide is empty I would not expect the current programme to record. The Youview EPG  is key  , a problem with that or the programme information contained therein would affect recording.

The EPG data  would be populated for the current day and week ahead  for the Freeview channels initially via your aerial connection. Then assuming you have an internet connection the EPG data for the Freeview channels will be enhanced by Youview. Youview would also populate & maintain the backwards EPG (ie the past 7 days(  For the BT subscription channels like  BT Sport the internet connection is used to supply both the backward and  forward programme data plus of course for delivery of the programme content itself. You would also need the internet connection to play any BTTV recordings as it will check that you still have an active subscription for the channel content that you  recorded. The Youview Players and Apps  will require the internet connection for viewing.

So no internet connection (on a previously setup up Youview box) would typically mean that with a working aerial connection you would have the  Freeview listings as received via the aerial and recordings  of those programs should work. Previously recorded Freeview recordings should be playable,

Only some of the Freeview broadcasters provide full accurate recording and even they make occasional mistakes. Others effectively  allow the default to kick in which is to use the epg  timings.

I would suggest that you check that the EPG contains the channels and programme data that  you expect  and that   for your current watched programme that pressing  i on the remote you see the expected programme data that is consuistent with the EPG title.

If that all looks Ok and you still cannot set a recording thenyou are probably at the stage where you try a soft reset and if that doesn't clear  a maintenance mode reset  (2 or 4)  of the box would be advisable.

GrumpyGeaser
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Likewise my box failed to record Moto Gp today. I managed to recover the Moto 3 and 2 races but can’t get the MotoGP race itself. The box is a huge disappointment. Needs reset so many times to recover basic function such as fast rewind/ fast forward. BT no help at all as you noted

For a comma company it is a pile of **bleep**

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Rerun of MotoGP due to start shortly at 8am.

Another rerun of MotoGP at 4:30am tomorrow morning if you miss setting a timer for that.

Dorna decided to delay all sessions by first 30 minutes and then an hour to take account of cold track conditions.  For some reason BT reacted by not just changing the coverage times for the existing EPG entries but deleting those and re-adding them with new CRIDs breaking timers already set.  Did it four times in short order before they stopped fiddling!  😠

0 Ratings
GrumpyGeaser
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for that. BT have form for that - I did manage the races on BT sports app.
0 Ratings
StavrosT
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Wow, forgot about this old thread! sorry for not repliying sooner 🙂

@zulu17
EPG was populated fine. no issues there.

@GrumpyGeaser
Can't dispute your view really. I've been dissapointed with it but not for the reasons I expected. I've got no issue with it missing a few features that Virgin or Sky may have but basic stuff not working really winds me up.
If it offered some kind of error or code to explain why recordings failed it wouldnt be so bad. at least you'd know what was wrong!

Update:
I never solved this issue but was informed by BT call centre that this was a 'known issue' for the box I had. they replaced it with a new one (the UHD version). Definitely did it less but same issue was still there. failed recordings occur somethings but never offer any info on why!
0 Ratings