cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
B0Buk
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT TV on the blink

So for no reason that I can see my box has today started to play up. Every 5 seconds the screen goes off/black for approx. 3 seconds then comes back on (the sound also goes during this window). So far I have:

- turned it off and on.

- unplugged the box.

- tried a different HDMI lead that I know works.

- tried a different HDMI port that I know works.

- used the TV to watch a different input (no problems)

Any ideas? I'm trying to steer away from a full reset to avoid deleting all the stored content

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT TV on the blink

When you turned it off/on, did it restart OK or did it struggle?

If it struggled, can you watch recorded programmes ok?

If it struggled to restart and you cannot watch recorded programmes then the Hard Disk Drive could be on the way out

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄
0 Ratings
B0Buk
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi Thanks for the response. Seemed to start up ok. Can't watch any of the pre-recordings just a black screen. Might as well go for a reset and see what happens I guess.

0 Ratings
B0Buk
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Update - So factory reset hasn't worked either. The screen is still going on and off on the set up screen. 

0 Ratings
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

If you do go for the reset, do so in a very quiet room and keep your ear close to the box. If you hear a repeated whirring or clicking noise coming from within the box then it's a warning that the hard drive is failing, it's a common fault.

♪♪I don't work for BT, I offer my time and help for free. If you'd like to leave a kudo, you may do so by clicking the rating button below.♪♪ 😄
0 Ratings
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Restart it again and follow the advice in my last post

0 Ratings