cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pepperpotty
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT TV, powerline adapters and a slave hub. (Error IPC6023)

Hi everyone. 

I have a rather strange and specific probelm.....

I have used powerline adaptors for many years but have never had a great connection due to the main plug being in an extension lead. This is due to the fact that I only have a single socket where my router is located. This often results in buffering when trying to watch BT Sport etc in the kitchen or trying to watch things like Amazon prime or Netflix on the main TV in the sitting room.

I had an old BT hub 5 lying around so decided to make a slave hub. I have an ethernet cable from my main hub chased up in to the loft and back down in to my computer room. So I thought, why not set up a slave hub there and then use the powerline adapter from the slave hub where I can plug it in to its own socket and receive a better signal.

All seemed to work great. The internet on the powerline plugs went from around 11mbs (although some days I would be lucky to get 0.5) to 69mbs. Checked the TV in the sitting room and everything is fine.

However, the streaming channels no longer work on BT TV. I can use the catchup services just fine, but when I try and watch BT Sport for example, I receive error code IPC6023. There is no issue with the internet, I'm receiving high speeds and no other devices are being used at the same time.

If I plug the BT TV box directly in to the router it works fine. If I put the powerline adapter back in to the main hub then it also works (although it's back to the rubbish speeds with crackling and buffering). But for some reason I can't figure out, it doesn't like the powerline adapter being in a slave hub.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Emma

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Pepperpotty
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT TV, powerline adapters and a slave hub. (Error IPC6023)

I've just noticed that I can watch the BBC channels just fine (not with an arial but through the powerline adapter) but any other channel and I get the error code.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Two issues here. The only powerline adapters approved for BT YouView, are the BT Mini connectors.

See See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

The other Issue is  using the old  home  hub as an Ethernet switch. In that configuration its not going to pass the multicast data to the BT YouView box.

If you use the BT Mini connectors, then they have two Ethernet ports. One you would connect the YouView box to, and the other you could connect the old hub, acting as a wireless access point.

0 Ratings
Pepperpotty
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for your advice on this. Unfortunately the second hub and the BT TV box are in different rooms, so hooking them up together isn't an option. 

I found an old 3 way plug which I've tried out and am getting better results than when I used an extension lead. Still not ideal but I think that is the best I can do for now.

When they rewired this house they decided that a single socket 6 foot up the wall would be enough for half of the room! Maybe one day I'll get an electrician round to fit a double socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Where is the YouView box connected, when its not plugged directly into the home hub, as I am a bit confused with your setup?

I assume you are connecting the powerline adapter to a port on the slave hub?

What may help is to put a proper Ethernet switch which supports IGMP snooping, at the end of your Ethernet cable.

Then plug the slave hub, and the powerline adapter to that Ethernet switch.

That switch will prevent the multicast stream from being lost down the powerline adapter link.

A good , compatible switch is a TP-Link TL-SG105 at about £15-£20 which is unmanaged and a straightforward plug&play.

I hope I understand your configuration.

0 Ratings
Pepperpotty
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I’m so stupid. Why didn’t I think of this? Haha. I guess I’ve been having a blonde moment for the past 24 hours!
My setup btw is this....
My router is in my bedroom.
I have a long Ethernet cable that goes up to the loft and back down in to my computer room. This is because I play computer games and watch streams and wanted a reliable connection.
Yesterday I set up a slave hub in my computer room so I could extend my wireless network (previously it was really bad and the wireless signal from the power line adapters was very poor due to the fact that I had the main power line adapter plugged in to an extension lead.) So I also then tried plugging the main power line adapter in to the slave hub instead of the main hub. As I’ve discovered, this doesn’t work.
My BT TV box is in the kitchen connected to a power line adapter.
As you’ve mentioned, my best bet is to connect an Ethernet switch to the router via the Ethernet cable in the computer room and then I can plug the main power line adapter in to its own socket instead of needing an extension lead.

It’s all very complicated!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@Pepperpotty wrote:
I’m so stupid. Why didn’t I think of this? Haha. I guess I’ve been having a blonde moment for the past 24 hours!
My setup btw is this....
My router is in my bedroom.
I have a long Ethernet cable that goes up to the loft and back down in to my computer room. This is because I play computer games and watch streams and wanted a reliable connection.
Yesterday I set up a slave hub in my computer room so I could extend my wireless network (previously it was really bad and the wireless signal from the power line adapters was very poor due to the fact that I had the main power line adapter plugged in to an extension lead.) So I also then tried plugging the main power line adapter in to the slave hub instead of the main hub. As I’ve discovered, this doesn’t work.
My BT TV box is in the kitchen connected to a power line adapter.
As you’ve mentioned, my best bet is to connect an Ethernet switch to the router via the Ethernet cable in the computer room and then I can plug the main power line adapter in to its own socket instead of needing an extension lead.

It’s all very complicated!

You cannot have two sets of powerline adapters on the same mains wiring. What you can have is a single powerline adapter connected to the home hub, and then additional powerline adapters slaved from that master one connected to the home hub.

See Important - Using powerline adapters or broadband extenders

If your YouView box is connected to the home hub using powerline adapters, then any additional adapters must be paired with the one that connects your YV box to the home hub, as explained on my webpage.