Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AlexDay85DJ
Message 1 of 7

BT TV without an external aerial

Hi all,

Thinking of moving over from Virgin to BT, but noted the requirement from an external aerial for Freeview. I live in a block of flats 3 floor out of 4, and there is not an option for an external aerial to be installed. Would a decent quality TV aerial be suitable, or does anybody have any other work-arounds?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT TV without an external aerial

Usually not unless you live close to (but not too close in the shadow of) your local transmitter.

You may be able to do a Freeview channel scan to keep the box happy by taking it round to a friend's house and use their aerial connection and thereafter just use the usual catch up services (iPlayer etc) as well as any internet channels you may decide to subscribe to.  Can anyone confirm if that will work?

0 Ratings
AlexDay85DJ
Message 3 of 7

Many thanks for coming back to me.

I'm based quite closely inbetween 2 transmitters by the looks of things, looks roughly 3 miles from each. Not sure if that would be a positive or negative for me?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

@AlexDay85DJ 

I'd say it's worth investing in an indoor aerial and as you appear to be close to a transmitter & are high up you'll probably get acceptable reception.

If you put your postcode into this website it'll give you all the information about what is the best transmitter, distance & location. Look here.

Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

@gomezzwrote:

Usually not unless you live close to (but not too close in the shadow of) your local transmitter.

You may be able to do a Freeview channel scan to keep the box happy by taking it round to a friend's house and use their aerial connection and thereafter just use the usual catch up services (iPlayer etc) as well as any internet channels you may decide to subscribe to.  Can anyone confirm if that will work?

The box works on subscription only without an aerial, but it won't install ITV and All4 players. iPlayer, My5, UKTV etc are available. The only time it throws a wobbler is when using maintenance mode, a software reset causes it to lose all if the internet channels and it won't retune because it can't detect an aerial signal. A factory reset sorts it out though.

AlexDay85DJ
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for you help Tim and Andy. That website was really useful and suggests I should have a strong signal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

If you can get hold of a set top aerial, try plugging into your tv and scan for channels and see what you can pick up
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings