cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Hi

I have been having trouble getting HD on my BT TV.  I get it for a while and then I will have set something up to record or be watching something and I will have lost it through a signal failure. I either get a blank screen or terrible interference in the picture. Its been happening since before the rugby world cup, most frustrating. I had this fault previously and they sent me 2 new plugs things as my TV comes from the router via my electric sockets. It rectified it at the time but I think that was over 12 months ago. I also get a funny clicking noise on the TV when I go out of Netflix. It almost sounds like a shorting noise which is strange. My modem is Type 18 and has a warranty expiry date of 06/2017 and I have a home hub 3 settings -Type B. I seem to have had this kit for ages so i don't know if this needs replacing with something more up to date

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT TV

Go to solution

@NickHerbert 

If you have an Openreach modem and a home hub 3, then its quite an old arrangement and you really need to ask BT for a home hub 6, which does not need the modem, as it plugs directly into your phone connection.

You would normally have to renew your contract, and there is  a small charge for postage.

If you ring 0800 800 030, they should be able to help you, remember to ask for an home hub 6.

If you still get problems after upgrading your equipment, then please post back on this forum, as there is plenty of other help.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Thank you for that. I have ordered the home hub 6.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@NickHerbert wrote:
Thank you for that. I have ordered the home hub 6.

When it arrives, just unplug the white Openreach modem and turn it off, as you will not need it anymore, you will save a bit on your electricity bill.

The HH6 comes with it own DSL lead which you plug into the same place where your Openreach modem was, perhaps it was a microfilter, or maybe a filtered master socket with a separate connection for broadband.

After a short while, the light should go blue, and you will have an Internet connection.

I would advise you to disable Smart Setup, as it can cause issues with some devices.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Any wireless devices will need to have the new connection details entered in.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Thank you
Nick
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Just for comparison I am still happily using the HH3 I was given when I first got BT broadband several years ago. Occasionally needs a reboot (once every few months) which I have always suspected is related to a clumsy technician working on the local cabinet and nudging my connection as it mostly seems to happen mid-morning.
0 Ratings