cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

BT TV

Hi 

Hoping that someone might be able to help with some queries I have re BT TV

We have sky tv and BT halo broadband. I would like to cancel the sky tv due to price and bt tv seems a good option.

we may have a couple of issues though  

1.  We have two tvs mounted on the wall over fireplaces  the sky boxes are fed via whatever cables are needed (sorry - not very technical) which are hidden and sort of come out the side of the chimney breast.  One sky box sits on a shelving unit to the side and one under the wardrobe. So all nice and neat. We have aerial points on the wall behind the tvs but they are redundant as sky boxes don’t need them.  We know they work though as the electrician checked the aerial when he installed them  

Looking at the website, we need the BT box connected to the aerial but the aerial point is behind the tv so will I have to have trailing wires etc unless I can get new aerial points installed? Bit worried about mess etc as everything recently replastered and decorated. 

2.  Husband would also like a recordable box in the bedroom. It looks like the pro would be best as it can be connected wirelessly like the sky mini box M.  Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an extra one from BT if not too costly? 

Many thanks for any help.  Much appreciated 

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: BT TV

Before you get any work done to facilitate BT TV (if needed), have you given notice to Sky or tried to negotiate at all if cost is a worry?

There is a big thread on the AV Forum (you will need to Google, I can't link to it here), which will give you a good idea of what discounts people are getting. 

You have to negotiate hard with Sky, actually telling them you want to go to BT will work in your favour. If you have decided you want to leave regardless, another more knowledgeable forum member will be along shortly to explain what you can and can't do in your scenario with BT.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 3 of 26

Hi 

thank you so much. I have given them notice and got an email confirmation from them of termination in September. I am a bit fed up to be honest as been customers for years. Have always negotiated a reasonable package. most recent one  will expire and they went nearly £100 to renew.  Meanwhile found out my neighbour on exactly the same package has just agreed exactly the same package as we have for £54 a month. Feels like a supermarket making up prices on the hoof at the check out and I’m to pay £2.50 for a loaf that the person in front of me has just been charged 50p for. I have seen some threads about cancelling and then waiting for them to call etc but I have three small children and can’t easily answer the phone etc. Just can’t understand why loyal customers can’t be offered decent packages without having to go through all this 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

Given that you're a way off September, best bet might be to watch this space. BT are supposedly preparing to launch Freeview channels over the Internet, which would do away with the need for an aerial.

There was also a recent hint about multi-room be added as an option, so another reason to sit tight & see what arrives.

But don't go thinking that BT are some benign entity looking out for the consumer. Just like Sky they exist to make money & will happily charge whatever they can get away with. Including vastly different sums for the same service. Also bear in mind you'll be committing to a two year contract that will rise with inflation + 4% every March. Some predictions suggest this could well amount to 15% next year...

Message 5 of 26

Hi - that is very useful. Thank you 

Tske your point about BT not being a benign entity - quite right. I have always managed to negotiate a good internet package with them so hoping I might be able to mange for a few years with the TV. I had previously with sky but not sure if I have run out of offers with them as the latest price hike is huge and I won’t pay nearly £100 to watch the tv

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

@PJCORNELLYposted his experience with moving from Sky to BT but I can't find the thread. IIRC he also tried negotiating with Sky & got nowhere. But after moving to BT Sky then came back with a good offer. Hopefully he'll see the tag & chip in.

If you get close to cancellation day without Sky blinking first, it might be worth letting the contract end & maybe trying a subscription with Now for a month before committing for two years.

Message 7 of 26

Thanks. That is v useful. Appreciate all of your help

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

@rbz5416 

I have returned to Sky after many issues with BT.

I left Sky paying £73 a month. I've returned exact same package £42.

Don't BLINK 😉

Message 9 of 26

Oh sorry to hear about that. Glad you have got sorted with Sky. Good advice - I will hold strong. My husband isn’t too bothered so long as he can access all the sport at the cheapest possible price 😂

I will see if sky gets back in touch. If not, I can see what BT are offering in September 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

@jennieukwrote:

Just can’t understand why loyal customers can’t be offered decent packages without having to go through all this…

That is basically the Sky thread on AV Forums in a nutshell, have to give notice to get a fair deal, often have to have it switched off to get the best one, but 50% off is easily achievable, you just have to ask nicely.

But I agree with @rbz5416, September is a little way off and plenty will change with BT by then in terms of functionality, which will change your install approach such as the as the changes to how channels are delivered and  a new multi room box that has been mentioned in another thread.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings