cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 26

Re: BT TV

I canalled BT TV with Now back in March this year and now get the same Now package of Entertainment, Sky Cinema and HD boost with discounts direct from Now.

You could connect a Freesat recorder box to you TV and dish after you leave Sky if you want to record the FTA channels.

Member BT dont seem to offer as many discounts on BT TV with Now. As with doing with Now direct.

In the last 18 months I now use the apps on my two Amazon Firesticks more now than I now do on my Youview boxes.

My BT FTTC contract is up for renewal come mid January and if I dont get a similar deal as last time than I will be moving elsewhere for my FTTC to try and save some money and I have been with BT for almost everything for well over 20 years.

Darren

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 26

Thank you. That is really helpful. My big issue is that my husband really does want to subscribe to all the sports channels and be able to record them or watch in demand. When I looked on Now TV at the packages, the sports on its own was really expensive so I wasn’t sure if there was a more economical way of getting the passes as a bundle. Will need to investigate and also if the now sport pass has a catch up/on demand facility 

Message 13 of 26

NOW does offer on demand Sky Sports, but you then have to rely on content being made available (something Sky Glass customers are starting to figure out at their cost), with recording (which for NOW is only available through BT), you can watch when you want.

Check out the massive thread on Digital Spy for the regular discounts on NOW when you go direct, or Google a guy called "Andy Clever Cash" who will explain more about going down the direct route, including buying the BT Sport Pass.

"Big Sport" on BT TV is currently £41 a month on a 2 year contract, but that is only in standard definition. You will need to add another £5 per month for HD and £5 per month for multiroom. 

I don't think you can do a deal with Sky to beat that just for Sports as you have to have a base "Entertainment" pack, but you certainly can by going direct. If you only have passes when you want to watch something and you don't have to sign up to a contract, you can save big, but you cannot record.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 14 of 26

It is certainly possible to get large discounts on the Sky Sports membership by going direct to NOW. I’ve been doing it for ages and never paid more than £20 per month. I do find it unwatchable without the HD Boost, however, and it’s also possible to get that at a discount by going direct too.

There are currently rumours that Sky Sports will be available in UHD on NOW for the new football season. One story has it that it will only be available to those customers that pay full price (currently £33.99 per month) and not to those that get a discounted price. Presumably this means that Sky Sports in UHD will be available to BTTV customers.

As others have said, BTTV does offer the recording facility and you don’t have to take non sports channels if you don’t want them. That’s an attractive proposition!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 26

Hi @jennieuk   I was looking to change my BT TV package, as I checked watch I actually watched, and what I paid for.

I really only wanted sport,  like your hubbie, and found the BT Big Sport package the best option.  Get all the Sky/Now sports/ Euro sport/ BT Sports channels....pretty much everthing. But with BT, unlike Sky, you can just have Sports, Sky and others make you pay for the basic TV package and and Sports as an add-on.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 26

BT TV are are currently offering VIP with a 50% discount for 3 months on a 24 month contract. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 26

Then after the 3 months at the 50% discount, the VIP package with BT is only a £7 or £8 cheaper than being with Sky for a similar package.

Darren

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 26

Thank you. This is all very helpful. I have actually been sent a very good offer by Sky today. It is a little more than I want to pay but I will ring them and see if they can discount further. If not, I have all the info here and am very grateful for everyone’s help 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 26

Although for me the BT Tv would still be a good deal if I can’t reach an agreement with Sky as it is a good bit cheaper then the initial price they offered as we have Bt sport as an addition to the broadband and that could be cancelled off with the VIP package so we shall see what Sky can come up with. It’s a full time job keeping on top of all of this! 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 26

As good as BT is comparing with Sky is very much chalk & cheese really. The available content with Sky far outstrips BT and if you watch HD content then BT cannot compete sadly.

Good luck negotiating it is worth pushing hard. What I did was go into the My Sky app to upgrade to cinema, go as far as checkout then stop. I did that a few times and within days I received am email offering cinema at £5 per month, with Paramount+ starting this week at £6.99 it was a steal.

Sadly and it shouldn't have to be the case but you need to play the game 😕