cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 26

Re: BT TV

That is very helpful. Thank you. I am not very TV savvy so I was thinking of saying that I don’t want the HD etc to Sky when I ring them tomorrow to reduce the price a bit. I have no clue if I use the HD channels or not so I do need to do an audit and work out what channels I actually record from etc. 

Message 22 of 26

The one thing that BTTV does have going for it is that it is extremely flexible. We signed up a couple of months ago to the Entertainment offer for £6 per month. We get NOW Entertainment & Netflix Basic for this. Everything else that we take is taken as an add-on on a month by month basis. We have HD/UHD, Neftflix Standard, BT Sport all as add ons. I can swop and change these as much as I like each month  knowing that I can always go back to the £6 ( subject to the annual inflation + 3% price increase) pack within the 24 month contract. We also have an Amazon 4K Fire tv stick and a Now (tv) stick which can be used as multi room devices at no extra cost. The ability to record the NOW channels is something that you won’t get if you go for the cheaper option of going direct with NOW. Also, sport has to be at least in HD or else it’s unwatchable these days IMHO.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 26

I still use my Youview box to at times record some of the Freeview channels.

You will find about 90% of the content thats on the channels that Now has is also on catch up/on demand via Now.

Its worth getting the HD then you can use the Now app on more than one TV or device at the same time.

Also HD looks really good depending on what programme or channel you  may be watching.

Overall I kind of happy I cancelled BT TV with with Now back in March and now have the same Now packages with discount. Direct from Now.

Darren 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 26

@jennieukwrote:

...I have no clue if I use the HD channels or not so I do need to do an audit and work out what channels I actually record from etc. 

This is the really important bit, we can all say what we think, there are plusses and minuses whoever you go with, but doing a channel audit is vital.

Apart from the sport, if you find out everything you watch is on channels 1 - 5, a Freeview or Freesat recorder and going PAYG with a NOW Sports pass and the BT Sport app will save you a bucket load. Then you can judge how much recording sport is worth to you.

For the record, I have Sky Signature, Ultimate TV (which includes Netflix UHD), Sky Cinema, Sky Sports, multiroom, HD and UHD for £49.50 a month with Q. I am very happy with that, others have got it for cheaper so you don't have to accept the first offer made.

If there is anything on BT Sport that takes my fancy, I just buy the BT Sport Monthly Pass to top up rather than get tied into an additional contract. Good luck with whatever you choose.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 25 of 26

@jennieuk 

What @stereohaven says is very important. For me HD is a must, UHD HDR preferable because when you spend close on £2K for a TV then obviously you want the best picture.

BT appealed to me because of cost, yes and flexibility. What I didn't realise was the apps for terrestrial on BT other than iplayer are streamed in SD only, even if you subscribe to itv hub, all4 they are ad free but only SD 🙄.

Sky provides almost all broadcasts and streams in HD and Many UHD except for your more obscure channels.

In my opinion you can't compare BT and Sky Q as like for like. For an improved viewing experience it has to be Sky Q, for flexibility and lower cost if you can live with HD content limitations then it is BT.

Also. Sky offers a lot more content so bear that in mind.

There is no best option here (Sky for me, despite its flaws) but what suits your viewing experience and pocket.

Message 26 of 26

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

There is no best option here (Sky for me, despite its flaws) but what suits your viewing experience and pocket.

Yep. 

For example, whilst Sky Q may have all the main apps, if you actually like picture quality then you have to watch through another device as the experience is poor otherwise (I use an Apple TV), but for broadcast TV it works the best for us. 

That said, I do realise many people either don't care or can't tell the difference when it comes to picture quality, so I know I am in a minority in my own house, let alone the country! 

The BT Sport UHD picture by the way is better than anything Sky produces, as is their HD versions, they just don't have the rights to the things I like (or at least not enough to demand a regular subscription).

I have also seen it stated by BT TV users that the NOW Sky Sports channels look really good on BT TV, perhaps even better than on Sky Q. 

Ultimately we are all looking for the best balance for our own needs. If I had faster broadband and better Freeview service, I may make different choices to what I have now. Horses for courses.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings