cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BT Tv

I’ve recently received a new BT box plus one for the bedroom so that I can have multi room.  Unfortunately I keep losing bbc and itv channels and I have to keep retuning my tv.  Sometimes the channels come back sometimes they don’t.  Any help regarding this would be appreciated.  Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Tv

Check your signal strength and quality...  You're looking for a signal strength of around 85-90 and quality of 90+ 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

@Lofty1949 

Do you mean "retuning my TV" or retuning the Youview box(s)?

If the TV then there is a setting in the Youview box for passing (or not) the TV signal through to the TV. By default this used to be set to OFF. The setting is Antenna Out and should be set to ON under Picture & Sound.

This may or may not be a factor but worth a check.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the reply.  It’s both I’ve checked the Antenna Out and turned it on.  I’ve just retuned both my tv and you view box again this morning and the channels are working for the moment.  It’s really frustrating.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your reply.  The signal strength is quite poor and I’ve lost all terrestrial tv channels.  I’ve returned the tv and you view box again this morning and the channels have been restored for now.  Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

If these problems persist when the aerial is  unplugged from the BT box and plugged directly into the TV then either the TV is faulty or there are issues with your aerial or possibly even with the transmitter (ask your neighbours if they've had any problems).
If the fault clears (with the aerial plugged directly into the TV) then you either have a faulty box or the cable from the box to the TV is faulty. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

@Lofty1949 

Most TVs will give yu an indication of the signal strength & quality so that might help us.

The odd thing about the BT Youview boxes is that if you have a very strong signal - fairly close to the transmitter or using a signal amplifier - the tuners on these units can be seriously overloaded. This can result in 100% signal strength reading or if it's so strong just the opposite.

If it is down to a very strong signal then a variable attenuator is necessary in the aerial feed to reduce the signal to a manageable level.

If you use this link it'll show where your transmitter is and an idea of the distance from it.

0 Ratings