cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT UHD Box Ethernet Cable

Hi All, my first post. I received my UHD box the other week, and I noticed the 10metre ethernet cable to link the Hub to the set top box is much thicker than the supplied cable with my previous Youview plus box. Is the core wiring in the new cable thicker to accomodate the faster speed required and better picture quality ?? I only ask as my original cable was run under the floor and so I just plugged that one into the new box and at times on UHD broadcasts on netflix I get a bit of flicker on the picture. It will be a bit of a pain to re-run the new cable if it is of superior quality but not insurmountable.I am generally getting an average of 66mb speeds when I run a speed test so don't think the broadband speed is the cause of the flicker.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT UHD Box Ethernet Cable

If you log onto the BT hub and go to advanced -> Home Network, then click on the wired connection for the BTTV box it should say 100Mbps next to connection speed. You might need to look at the network settings on the BTTV box to confirm the MAC address if you have other wired connections. 

The supplied cable is probably just a better quality one or possibly a later type of cable that supports 1Gbps. They do vary in quality I bought some really cheap ethernet cables from ebay ages ago and they are really thin but seem to work OK 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

@cruickgl wrote:

Hi All, my first post. I received my UHD box the other week, and I noticed the 10metre ethernet cable to link the Hub to the set top box is much thicker than the supplied cable with my previous Youview plus box. Is the core wiring in the new cable thicker to accomodate the faster speed required and better picture quality ?? I only ask as my original cable was run under the floor and so I just plugged that one into the new box and at times on UHD broadcasts on netflix I get a bit of flicker on the picture. It will be a bit of a pain to re-run the new cable if it is of superior quality but not insurmountable.I am generally getting an average of 66mb speeds when I run a speed test so don't think the broadband speed is the cause of the flicker.

Is it possible to try the new cable without having to go under the floor? e.g. a temporary connection laid on top of the floor, that should answer your question.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Hi, yes, obviously it is possible to try the cable temporarily......I just wondered if someone knew that the uhd box required a far better quality cable than the one supplied with the youview plus box. I wasn't aware that it did, and their is nothing written up on the net about it that I can see. I'm assuming that the gauge of the core wiring in the cable is bigger than a standard youview plus box.
0 Ratings