Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheHank
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT UHD Box - Netflix - Optical and ARC - 5.1

Hello, please help me 😄

I got a Philips pus6410 4k tv recently. It has two 2.2 hdmi ports and a further two 1.4, all support ARC.

If I connect BT UHD Box to my onkyo 609 av receiver I get 5.1 from live tv and also netflix, bt online etc, all fine, but! the amp can only do 1080p.

So I connected bt uhd to tv 2.2 hdmi 1 and I get lovely 4k but with an arc hdmi cable back to amp or optical back to amp netflix will only send stereo, live tv provides 5.1 with either connection.

But why the devil can't netflix do 5.1 over arc or optical, can anyone else confirm this too?

What am I missing?

Thanks a lot
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT UHD Box - Netflix - Optical and ARC - 5.1

As you say you need to connect the UHD box directly to the TV via HDMI to benefit from 4K UHD resolution. Many modern A/V receivers do support 4K UHD but if anybody is thinking about buying one please check that it supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Also note some A/V receivers only support 4K HDR on one or two inputs which may not be enough if you want to use BT UHD and also a UHD Blu Ray player, say. For example, the Pioneer SC-LX89 has 8 HDMI inputs but only three support 4K with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, although this is sufficient for most.

To address your problem, there are three possible causes:

1. The TV may only support 2.0 over HDMI ARC and S/PDIF even though ARC allows Dolby Digital 5.1.

2. The TV may only accept stereo audio via its HDMI input and may be negotiating this via the HDMI handshake when connected. In this case the YouView box will just output stereo.

3. The TV may be configured to output stereo via its Audio Out (including optical output). You can check this in the TV's Settings under Audio Out. From your post this seems unlikely as you have 5.1 audio working via ARC but do please check. 

Can you get 5.1 from your YouView box via the TV for any content? Try FreeView HD (e.g. a 5.1 film) and a BT Extra TV Multicast HD channel too. 

For reference, note BT use Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) for 5.1 surround sound on the multicast channels while Freeview HD broadcasts use HE-AAC audio. Both can be carried over HDMI ARC, providing your TV supports it, but both require transcoding to Dolby Digital (AC3) for carriage over optical S/PDIF. I'd expect the TV to be able to do this but some can't. 

BT TV expertPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
TheHank
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Yes the amp can't do 4k so I bypassed it.

I thought it must be the tv but when you only use optical straight to the amp from the bt box it still only gives stereo in netflix, and the same for arc.

Both arc and optical to amp both provide 5.1 when watching discovery channel for example.

It's just a shame netflix doesn't, except when connect via hdmi straight to amp, annoyingly the tv's netflix app provides 5.1 but the audio is slightly slow-mo 😄 I can't win.

Tv is set to surround, bt uhd is set to surround.
0 Ratings
TheHank
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

And to add, with my win 10 pc connected to tv in hdmi 1, 2.2 at 4k with arc on the tv passes 5.1 dolby and dts to amp, mkv's and the win 10 netflix app.

So I'm deffo pointing the issue at the bt box.
0 Ratings