Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tb_forum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Ultra HD Multichannel Sound

Question:

Has anyone with BT Ultra HD got any observations on the multichannel sound on Channel 434? In my setup I find that the commentary on live tranmissions emanates from all speakers apart from the centre (dialogue) speaker, as opposed to the accepted norm which is to use just the centre speaker.

Detail:

When watching a game using the Ultra HD YouView STB set to Channel 434 the commentary dialogue is evident in Front L/R and Rear L/R speakers, nothing at all in the centre speaker. When changing channel to view the same game on BT Sport 1 HD / BT Sport ESPN HD, the commentary dialogue is evident in the centre speaker, as expected. That is interesting and suggests this is not equipment or setup related.

I tried two setup configurations (see below) and the outcome is common across both.

This has been evident on both games transmitted so far in Ultra HD. Feedback has been provided to BT but they have advised that they are not aware of this as an issue. So I am looking for feedback to try to figure this out.

Setup:

YouView Ultra HD STB, Samsung HU8500 TV and Denon AVR-X2000.

Note 1: the HU8500 supports HDCP 2.2. The AVR-X2000 is a 2013 model and only supports HDCP but this is not considered an issue given the use of Config 1.

Config1

The YouView STB is connected to HDMI4 (MHL) on the TV and rather than use the ARC connection for sound (see Note 2), I used an optical connection taken from the YouView STB and applied to the AVR-X2000. The YouView STB has the settings for HDMI and S/PDIF set to Surround.

Config2

This is a sanity check with the YouView STB directly connected to the AVR-X2000 via HDMI. Although this will not support Ultra HD picture quality, I think it should revert to HD and there should be no ambiguity about the sound.

Note 2:

Per the FAQ at http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53977

Can I use the YouView+ Ultra HD with a home theatre set-up?

If you have a surround sound system that you would like to use, please make sure it supports Ultra HD/4K pass through with HDCP 2.2.

If it does not, then we recommend that you use the Audio Return Channel (ARC) from your TV to connect your sound system to.

I asked Samsung to confirm what sound format is supported over the ARC connection from the TV back to the AV receiver – they advised that “unfortunately the system does not support Dolby pass through”. What I found is that the ARC connection from the HU8500 back to the AVR-X2000 does not seem to support Dolby Digital 5.1, the signal that is sent is processed by the AVR-X2000 using Dolby Pro Logic IIx or DTS Neo:6, implying it is just two channels.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Ultra HD Multichannel Sound

Yes it is a known fault with the internal technical people (even if whoever you spoke to doesn't know this).  They are trying to bring proper 5.1 surround sound online but the last two matches they changed at the last minute and just transmitted a stereo sound matrixed into a Dolby surround signal which ends up in all four main speakers splitting the stereo sound and nothing coming out of the centre speaker. It has been highlighted and they are working on it.

It would be much better if they just sent the stereo signal and let the amp do the matrixing...
5.1 has been trialled and worked so it shouldn't be long hopefully until it is fixed.

Randomprecision
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Yes I'd noticed the issue and hope that BT can sort out the issue asap.
0 Ratings
tb_forum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Hi scointer, many thanks for that. This syncs with my view, based on my tests, that the source of this issue lies in the transmission. The current approach leads to an awful customer experience so I agree that a short term use of a stereo signal would have been the better solution. BT need to get 5.1 out with immediate effect, I can't see why they have a problem.

I spent lots of time on chat and phone calls on this with BT since the first live transmission and each time the feedback has been that they know of no issues and therefore nothing can be do done. Lack of knowledge or lack of transparency? Either way, with no action on customer feedback / no clearly communicated plan for resolution, it has the same end result in terms of customer opinion. imho it would have been better to advise early adopters of the current limitations and the plans to resolve, customers normally respect that approach.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

I agree but I think this is technical issue that just hasn't been communicated to any call centre staff. It was definitely planned to be working for the first game but was called off at the last minute, I think the issue might be that it drifts out of sync during the course of the programme. All I can say is this has been highlighted straight to the technical team working on this very highly during both match transmissions. I am still hoping it might be fixed for the next match but not holding my breath.
0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

BT have veen struggling to get this right ever since BT Sport started. Your probably better off  setting the box to stereo and using dolby pro logic if it bothers you.

However when BT sport do get it right you can disconnect the centre speaker when Michel Owen is on the comentry team 🙂 . thats been the biggest benifit of UHD after the picture.

0 Ratings
tb_forum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

So the match on Saturday was more in line with expectations in that the commentary was through the centre speaker only.

That validates the proposition that this is a BT transmission issues as opposed to a home setup or equipment issue.

However, this still not quite right as the output from the rear speakers was very low. I wonder if this is just a fine tune needed on the tranmission settings or if this is another interim solution? When I listen to matches on Sky Sports the sound is much better balanced.

0 Ratings
Randomprecision
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I was getting commentary through my rear speakers. Come on BT get 5.1 sorted on UHD sports!!
0 Ratings