cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Ultra HD YouView box | Thoughts and opinions

We have just recieved our YouView box today, it was meant to be delivered on the 27th, a day before our services are activated.

When unboxing the YouView box, I was surprised that they given us a quality (very long) ethernet cable, if I was aware of this beforehand I wouldnt have purchased a 5m cat 7 cable, maybe its something you should tell customers for future reference

I installed all the appropriate cables, booted up the device and it updated (our current provider will be decativated later today)

My only comparsision for a tv box would be SKY PLUS HD+ and I have to say it is defiantly an improvement, the guide is a lot more superior, by that I mean there are thumbnails on each progamme avaliable for you to watch and they have intergrated their applications within the guide, so you can access previous shows seemlessly.

I havent had chance to access the premium channels as of yet, as our service hasnt started, but what I have seen is very good.

My only complaint is that the buttons on the remote are not spaced out enough, as I seem to be clicking the information button, instead of the top arrow button as with the bottom arrow button and back button. Maybe I will get a better feel with the remote over time, but it is something that is ruining the experience.

My only suggestion would be to add Plex to the service, as that is something I and a lot of other people use and would make this package more value for money to me and is something that could keep me in 18 months time.

As of now, I am very satisfied with what BT are offering and I'll be sure to recommend the service to family and friends.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Ultra HD YouView box | Thoughts and opinions

Hi @danielheywood and welcome. 

I have been using the uhd box for 5 months now and it is very good. The remote is tricky at first I agree, but I have no problems now using it in the dark. So I'm sure you will be navigating it like a pro in no time.

I was aware it included a 20 meter cable with it, but I took bt up on the offer for the mini connectors though when I ordered as my hub is in the hallway, so I haven't used the ethernet cable. 

Are you waiting on bt infinity to be activated as well on the day or are you currently a customer? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thank you @Zombie

That is good to know, knowing it'll get easier to use the remote over time

My current Sky router is placed behind a wall from the TV, so I just drilled a hole from the YouView box to the router via ethernet

Yes I am a new customer, moving from Sky, my line and services are meant to activate on the 28th

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 12

Me too, I swapped from sky on the 20th June and it all went perfectly, was using sky fibre until the sky hub went off, plugged in my home hub 6 and it worked straight away, I probably had a minute of down time. 

So far my HH6 has been fantastic, never drops out, wifi in every room and super quick speeds night and day. I can't fault it all.

Hopefully you will have no problems as well. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 12

I had to have an engineer visit to install when I got my UHD box, he installed cable from a drum along the skirting etc so the cable in the box has never been used either.  

The good thing about the remote is that the buttons seems to be quite good quality, nice and clicky !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

My service had activated early this morning, I replaced the old Sky Hub with the new BT Smart Hub, the difference between the two is night and day. The BT Smart Hub has surpased my expecations, it has improved the latency, wifi and download speed and has offered me a lot of customisation for my local area network, I can now easily assign every device with its only static I.P address

btstats1.png

At the moment my sync speed is great, I think (I am on Infinity 1), as its a vast improvement over Sky Fibre

I have played around with the BT TV premium channels and everything works flawlessly, it's hard to believe there are so many negative reviews for BT. Great start!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for posting @danielheywood.

Great to hear some really positive feedback. Smiley Wink

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 12

Great to hear @danielheywood so glad everything went smoothly for you. I see you have the lastest firmware on the HH6 as well. it's not hit my hub yet as it's only been out a week or so..  Though the way my HH6 runs I can't see how it could get any better.. 😀 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Couple of days has passed since my line has been activated, unfortunately my downstram sync speed has decreased by 3 Mbps. On the 29th November at peak times my connection dropped 4-5 times and the sync speeds dropped dramataicly. Since then however the speed has picked up and has been somewhat stable.

stats1.png

I'm not exactly sure what BT Wi-Fi Staus means or indicates, maybe a hotspot? If so, does that mean if people joined my hot spot, would my internet be affected?

I dont believe my setup is the problem as its all brand new cabling, as I replaced it all before BT line was activated

ROUTE.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@danielheywood wrote:

Couple of days has passed since my line has been activated, unfortunately my downstram sync speed has decreased 

I'm not exactly sure what BT Wi-Fi Staus means or indicates, maybe a hotspot? If so, does that mean if people joined my hot spot, would my internet be affected? No it will have no affect on your connection, as you have priority.

Seems about normal to me, but its worth checking your phone line for any noise.

0 Ratings