Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dncserv
Message 1 of 5

BT Ultra box ans ASUS routers

Go to solution

I have just had an Ultra you view box installed and was advised by the engineer that i need to use the Home Hub 5 with it so that i can get the BT channels. I currently have a BT ECI tybe B fibre modem feeding an ASUS RT-N56U router which i have set-up with port forwarding, parental controls etc and can get everything on the new box except the BT channels. I have searched the forums and it appears that the RT-N56U doesn't support multicast and this is the problem.

I connected the HH5 and linked it via a long cable to the Ultra box and the BT channels worked, reset to my original system (my network is hardwired to my TV and Skybox(being removed in 2 weeks)) and when I select BT channels it says the is a problem which seems to confirm the lack of multicast theory.

Since the reviews on the HH5 are not great i am reluctant to use it so am concidering upgrading my router.

I have an old house with thick walls and have a Buffalo Airstation repeater for the other end of the house. 

I have looked at the RT-AC68U, RT-AC88U and the RT-AC3200 but cannot decide which would be best (newer model notwithstanding) so would like any advice or suggestions.

I have also seen from the forums that the Huawei HG612 is better than the ECI Forum B model, is it worth upgrading or is the ECI a reasonable choice? I have anywhere between 12 (permenantly connected) and 23 devices that can connect to my network.

Any suggestion or help appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Ultra box ans ASUS routers

Go to solution

I have both the ECI and Huawei modem. The primary benefit of Huawei is that you can hack it and get connection statistics that help you in case DLM plays with your line.

In order to determine which modem is best you need to know who provides the hardware in the cabinet. It makes sense to use the same brand.

I use a Netgear R7000 and works fine with both ECI or Huawei and BT TV

Is the router that determines if you can use BT TV so choose one first. The modem consideration is secondary

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Can you not use the settings shown in the sticky for the Asus RT-N66U router?

Otherwise I use a DSL-AC68U which works very well with BT sport & does away with the need for an OR modem. If you prefer the 2 box approach then the RT-AC68U should be fine.

0 Ratings
dncserv
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Tim, thanks for the advice, i have already tried the settings for the RT-N66u, unfortunately it does not work, I assume its because the RT-N56U is older. In my current setup the modem is remote from the router as it is next to the bt box and linked via ethernet cable to the opposite side of the room hence the 2 box setup. I used to have a draytek 120 modem for adsl but was upgraded to the ECI when i got fibre.

I was leaning toward the AC68U so will opt for that option.

Thanks again for the advice.

0 Ratings
dncserv
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice, after other comments and further research i have decided to go for the AC68U as from other posts it should work fine. I don't know what equipment is in the cabinet but as the ECI has worked fine for me with Plus Net in the past I will stick with the ECI.

Thanks once again.

0 Ratings