Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barneys
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT UltraHD TV Box - BT Player Doesn’t run

Go to solution

I have started to have a problem with my BT UltraHD TV Box. If I try to run The BTPlayer from either the Blue button on the remote or from the MyTV on screen menu it doesn’t run. The rotating symbol appears on the screen appears for a long time  & eventually times out and the screen returns to normal. Also if I search for a on demand/catch up programme, when it is selected to play from the results displays it then won’t play, just returns to the results list. In this second scenario this happens only with BT channels that need the functionality of the BTPlayer to play. Programmes that I search for that are found that play with freeview on demand players like BBC iPlayer are OK. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions what’s going on? Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT UltraHD TV Box - BT Player Doesn’t run

Go to solution

Hi @barneys 

do your subscribed BT TV Channels play normally when watched live ?

have you checked for any  software AND  player and apps  updates  ie On the Youview box >Settings >Information & Reset>SoftwareInformation

have  you tried restarting your HomeHub followed by restarting your Youview box?

If that doesn’t clear problem I would be inclined to do a maintenance mode 4 reset which would refresh the software on your box.

0 Ratings
barneys
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Zulu17

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for your help & suggestions.

Yes I can watch all my subscribed channels live. 

I have already checked I have the latest software and versions of apps via the appropriate menu in settings.

I had no  tried restarting the hub & box using the method suggested. I have now tried this but with no success as I couldn’t even get into maintenance mode. I used the method from the BT Help page 

1. Switch the box off and then back on again. A red light should appear on the front panel

Switch box off and on again to see the red light
  2. Press and hold the down arrow button (1) on top of your box for five seconds until you see ‘Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N’ at the bottom of the screen. When you see this, press the standby/powerbutton (2)

Press the down arrow button and power/standby button
  3. After a few seconds you’ll see the ‘Maintenance Mode’ menu. Choose and select either Factory Reset, keep recordings or Factory Reset, delete recordings using the arrow buttons

After the Red light shows when I pressed the 'down arrow ' button on the bow the blue light shows and the box just proceeds through the normal re-boot procedure and the maintenance mode Y/N message is not displayed on the screen.

Any further help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @barneys ,

thanks for reporting back.

The process for entering maintenance mode can be a bit fiddly , with the buttons  so close together so possibly a further attempt might have succeeded.

HOWEVER it does appear that Youview have announced a further update this morning which suggests a fix to a BT Player issue. I will ask the mods to clarify whether the symptoms you are experiencing are consistent with the problem being addressed in the fix.

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/bt-software-release-32-23-50-3-6-48

0 Ratings
barneys
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for ur reply. I did try a few times to get into maintenance mode, I agree buttons are a bit fiddly! I will give it another go. Has this new version of software been released yet? I'll await the reply to your enquiries as to whether it is relevant to the problems I have. Cheers.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@zulu17 Thanks for highlighting this thread, I've ran it by the TV team and the problem @barneys has described is not related to the recently announced Youview firmware update.

@barneys I'm sorry about the problems you've had with the BT Player recently, if you send over your details we'll get a fault raised with our BT TV experts.

I'll send you a Private Message in a few moments with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks
Neil

0 Ratings
barneys
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks Neil,

Private message sent.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @barneys many thanks for sending over your details, I've raised a case with our BT TV experts and as soon as I have any updates I'll get back in touch with you.

0 Ratings
barneys
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
Hi @NeilO
Thanks for raising this with the experts. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @barneys Thanks for speaking with me today, as discussed the TV team have asked for a factory reset to be tried.  I appreciate the reset method using the buttons on the box is not working so they recommended doing it via remote. This method will unfortunaltey not give you the option to keep your recordings.

THIS RESET WILL DELETE YOUR RECORDINGS AND ANY SCHEDULED RECORDINGS. YOU'LL ALSO LOSE ANY PERSONAL SETTINGS YOU'VE MADE TO FAVOURITES AND PLAYLISTS.

1. Go to the main menu by pressing the blue Home (or YouView) button on your remote
  2. From the main menu, scroll along and select Settings
  3. In the settings menu, scroll down to Information & Reset and select Factory Reset from the list

Select Information & Reset, then Factory Reset
  4. You'll now see a warning screen. Remember all of your recordings and personal data will be deleted

Warning screen
  5. If you want to continue, just enter the numbers shown on the screen using your remote. The reset will take a few minutes
  6. Once done, you'll see the first time set up screens. Just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset
0 Ratings