Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cliff
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT VISION BOX & NEW YOUVIEW BOX.

Go to solution

I was out of contract & using the vision box,i wasn't having any problems.I was offered a youview box if i took out a new contract,discounted so i was paying the same amount & moved fron infinity 1 to infinity 2.Everything is working ok & i thought i'd use the vision box as an stand alone pvr,it actually worked for about a week,i'd taken an aerial connection from the youview box to the vision box.The epg was there & my recordings & i was able to record things.

It then stopped working,the epg was gone & i couldn't tune channels in,i can still watch the recordings,they still show.Is there any way i can use this  as i plain old pvr.I am now getting code VCM011.

I'd like to ask a supplementary question if i may.I just have sky sports 1 & 2 & bt sports,does everything come through my broadband connection,i still connect my aerial to the youview box,do i need the aerial connection,i seem to remember reading somewhere that with youview everything came through the broadband connection,aerial not required.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT VISION BOX & NEW YOUVIEW BOX.

Go to solution

You do need a TV aerial for the YouView box, as all of the FreeView channels come via the aerial. The only ones that come from the Internet are those extra BT channels that you subscribe to.

The old Vision+ box should still work as a PVR for FreeView channels, but nothing else. It will of course also need a TV aerial connection, so you would have to use an aerial splitter.

Disconnect the Internet connection to it, and you may have to reset it and rescan for channels, to remove the old TV guide, and just let it load the one provided by FreeView, which could take a while to populate.

skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
The Antenna out needs to be On in Picture & Sound Settings, also the RF output from the Youview box stops working when the box goes into a deep sleep (red indicator on front panel), you need to keep it in Smart Standby or Always Ready for the signal to pass through.
0 Ratings
Cliff
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.At the moment i have the aerial lead connecting into the youview box & a lead connected to the youview box aerial out & then into the vision box.Is this why it's picking up stuff from the internet connection that goes  into the youview box.

Presumably the spitter will eliminate any connection with the youview box after i remove the connecting lead.Any views on how effective splitters are,do they degrade the signal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Proper splitters (not resistive ones), introduce a very tiny loss, which you are unlikely to notice.

0 Ratings
Cliff
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks.

I'll get a splitter,i disconnected the boxes & connected the aerial lead straight into the vision box so it was getting it's own signal & not one fed through the youview.I was able to tune in the channels & watch channels.Altough will not be using it for that.This is how the splitter will work i guess,2 seperate signals.

0 Ratings
Cliff
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply,i had the youview box set up exactly as you suggested & unfortunately i did get the problems as i described.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

You will have to run the setup again to make sure that any Internet delivered channels are removed from the EPG. That will just leave the FreeView SD channels on the guide when you rescan.

I have just tried that with an old Vision+ box , and it works just fine. I did however do a full factory reset, which would delete any recordings.

Cliff
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I have retuned the vision box via the direct connection.I don't want to lose some old series recordings of various things so i'll hold off on the full reset for the moment.

What i have done is create a favourites list,doing this allows me to hide all the channels i don't want or are not now available to me.I haven't got the splitter yet but i think that it will be ok this way.

It records ok,i've set one up to come on & record ,it worked ok as it used to.The aerial lead is now back in the youview box,awaiting the spltter.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings