Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
voxish
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Vision vs youview

Can I get this cleared up properly.

I've been a BT Vision customer (and now on Infinity at 100MBps+) for a few years now.  I own a BT Vision black box which works fine.  To be honest I find the interface a bit clunky and unintuitive and it's not especially responsive but it works. 

When I heard about Youview I assumed (clearly wrongly) that it was to be integrated with BT Vision but now I believe you have either Youview OR BT Vision but not both.  Surely this can't be right?  And what about all the stored content on my BT Vision box , do I lose all that to change to Youview?  Ideally I'd just download all the old material to our NAS or external HDD but there isn't the facility to do this.  And would I lose my ESPN access?

Can I please have a definitive answer!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Vision vs youview

Here you go, comparision

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

@voxish wrote:

Can I get this cleared up properly.

I've been a BT Vision customer (and now on Infinity at 100MBps+) for a few years now.  I own a BT Vision black box which works fine.  To be honest I find the interface a bit clunky and unintuitive and it's not especially responsive but it works. 

When I heard about Youview I assumed (clearly wrongly) that it was to be integrated with BT Vision but now I believe you have either Youview OR BT Vision but not both.  Surely this can't be right?  And what about all the stored content on my BT Vision box , do I lose all that to change to Youview?  Ideally I'd just download all the old material to our NAS or external HDD but there isn't the facility to do this.  And would I lose my ESPN access?

Can I please have a definitive answer!

Well, you can have YouView with BT Vision content (except for sport) or you can have just BT Vision, with sport (if you live in an Infinity enabled area). YouView is a seperate box and you would have to be out of your current contract to be able to sign up to a new YouView contract.

There is no way to transfer recordings on either box, except for hooking up a DVD recorder to the SCART connection and playing the recordings onto it, but this is very time consuming and not always practical if you have lots of recordings.

0 Ratings
CriticalMass
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

You would lose ESPN and wouldn't be able to subscribe to the Sky Sports channels as currently Youview is not compatible. I believe that this will change next year with planned Youview upgrades to enable these and other new channels. On the on-screen Youview menu there is a BT Vision logo which you simply select and after approx 10 seconds the vision content loads up. This is identical to the content on the black Vision 2.0 box albeit with a redesigned menu and interface.

0 Ratings
voxish
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

OP here - thanks for the interesting answers, unfortunately I'm not really any further forward.

So I have a dilemma - the new Humax box with youview is a better interface AND can get BT Vision (albeit with a 10 sec lag...why?) but I can get the same, albeit with a lot of extraneous key-presses with the BT Vision box.

Hmmm I was hoping for a nice slick fast interface which has actually been designed by someone who knows a bit about ergonomics.  So still between two stools, I have the old clunky BT Vision box but it has EPSN (which TBH isn't that good for any sport worth watching but is occasionally very handy) and a whole bunch of series recordings.  The question is, is the new box such a big advance and does it have the potential to be better - or is it just more of the same old same old?

Incidentally at normal viewing distances I find it very hard to detect any difference between HD and normal channels - is it just me?

0 Ratings
CriticalMass
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

The humax box is getting regular upgrades whereas the BT Vision box may or may not get them. At the moment BT have not announced exactly how and when new channels they now have the rights and content for such as FX will be available.

Personally i'm hoping they won't be exclusive to BT infinity as i live in a rural area with an exchange not due to get an infinity upgrade.

Whilst it was a pain to reselect all my series recordings on Youview at least it helped me quickly get the hang of the new interface. As for the slow BT Vision load time, you make a good point - why the delay at all? As there is no delay on the Vision box. I dont know enought about the tech on the Humax box to explain this however i will say that it takes about the same time for the Lovefilm app to load up on my blu-ray player.

Terrestrial HD, including Sky, can only output at 720p, blu-ray will give you full 1080 HD which could explain why the image quality is not as evident. I have a 43 inch plasma tv and notice a discernable difference in quality, even more so on blu-ray. I guess it depends on equipment and the individual.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 8

@CriticalMass wrote:

Terrestrial HD, including Sky, can only output at 720p, blu-ray will give you full 1080 HD which could explain why the image quality is not as evident. I have a 43 inch plasma tv and notice a discernable difference in quality, even more so on blu-ray. I guess it depends on equipment and the individual.

BBC HD broadcasts at 1080. Although they are often confused, resolution and picture quality are not the same thing - all 1080 really defines it the size of the picture. Terrestrial HD doesn't have anywhere near the bitrate of a BluRay and therefore they need to employ more aggressive compression to make the images fit and that means lower PQ.

0 Ratings
CriticalMass
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

You're right, i meant to write 1080p. BBC HD broadcasts in 1080i - the difference is noticeable when compared side by side. Also some programmes on BBC HD are not true HD if they have been filmed in Standard Definition then they are only up-scaled.
0 Ratings