Message 21 of 27

Re: BT YouView IPTV bandwidth

Can't argue with that.
0 Ratings
SRB
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 27

Have had the BT YouView box a few days now, it does happily stream HD content from the I Player - though defaults to SD, so you have to request an HD stream, it's just a button push, not too much hassle, however I am on infinity 2 and have an average speed of 70megs. The FAQ in the BT Vision section of the box, states that, so long as you have a monthly Vision sub, your downloads from any on demand services will not count towards your allowance. That being the case, I would hope the same QOS is applied across all the "On Demand" content, not just that on the BT Portal. Demand Five for example, which was on my old Vision Box, is now not in the Vision section, but in a stand alone player.
0 Ratings
anorth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 27

One thing I have to take issue with you is that I have been assured by BT that the allowance applies to On Demand stuff whether you are on the subscrition service OR the pay as you go BT Vision service that I and many others are on. If anybody from BT is monitoring this and wish to go back on what I have been told then I will start throwing my toys out of the pram.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 24 of 27

@SRB wrote:
Have had the BT YouView box a few days now, it does happily stream HD content from the I Player - though defaults to SD, so you have to request an HD stream, it's just a button push, not too much hassle, however I am on infinity 2 and have an average speed of 70megs. The FAQ in the BT Vision section of the box, states that, so long as you have a monthly Vision sub, your downloads from any on demand services will not count towards your allowance. That being the case, I would hope the same QOS is applied across all the "On Demand" content, not just that on the BT Portal. Demand Five for example, which was on my old Vision Box, is now not in the Vision section, but in a stand alone player.

I can't speak for Youview as I haven't seen it, but iPlayer on the latest Vision software has a settings button at the bottom right of the main screen which allows you to set the default video quality. Maybe you have something similar.

QoS is only applied to BT's own content, the rest (iPlayer etc. ) uses buffering.

QoS and your broadband allowance are not related.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 27

Re YouView QoS, yes, as confirmed by Stephanie -

@StephanieG wrote:
Hi anorth,

Welcome to the forum.

All BT Vision VoD (i.e. played from the BT Player app) is assured. This means that BT Vision traffic will be prioritised by the network. Currently the other traffic (iPlayer, ITV Player etc) is not.

Hope this helps,

Stephanie
___________________________________________________________________________________________ 
On the first page of this thread.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 27

@anorth wrote:

One thing I have to take issue with you is that I have been assured by BT that the allowance applies to On Demand stuff whether you are on the subscrition service OR the pay as you go BT Vision service that I and many others are on. If anybody from BT is monitoring this and wish to go back on what I have been told then I will start throwing my toys out of the pram.

Are you talking about broadband usage limits now, not QoS?

I would imagine that BT will stick to their commitment that any BT On Demand Video that they provide won't count towards your broadband usage as they do for BT Vision customers even if they are PAYG customers.

0 Ratings
SRB
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 27

Direct quote from the help section FAQ on the YouView box within the BT Vision Portal : "Does On Demand count for my broadband usage allowance?"
"If you have a monthly subscription to BT Vision, all your You View On Demand usage will be exempt. If you don't, programmes and films from other providers via YouView will count towards your broadband usage.