Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT YouView IPTV bandwidth

@anorth -

I knew there was something bugging me about this thread. And it was Stephanie's answer to your question, which she did answer -

@StephanieG wrote:
Hi anorth,

Welcome to the forum.

All BT Vision VoD (i.e. played from the BT Player app) is assured. This means that BT Vision traffic will be prioritised by the network. Currently the other traffic (iPlayer, ITV Player etc) is not.

Hope this helps,
Stephanie
__________________________________________________________________________________________

As Stephanie is talking about the BT Vision Player app, she means the above applies through and to a YouView box.

The various different Players on a YV box are not hosted by BT Vision and hence are not (currently) supported. Which makes sense, really.

So there you go. Question answered. 

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 27

@masona2 wrote:

@anorth -

I knew there was something bugging me about this thread. And it was Stephanie's answer to your question, which she did answer -

@StephanieG wrote:
Hi anorth,

Welcome to the forum.

All BT Vision VoD (i.e. played from the BT Player app) is assured. This means that BT Vision traffic will be prioritised by the network. Currently the other traffic (iPlayer, ITV Player etc) is not.

Hope this helps,
Stephanie
__________________________________________________________________________________________

As Stephanie is talking about the BT Vision Player app, she means the above applies through and to a YouView box.

The various different Players on a YV box are not hosted by BT Vision and hence are not (currently) supported. Which makes sense, really.

So there you go. Question answered. 

That section would suggest that as these are not part of the BT App, they are not prioritised and could be suspectable to the usual bandwidth issues want some people have, which could in turn cause buffering while watching any of these services. This would be like netflix/lovefilm, iplayer on xbox, ps3, freesat is not prioritised and QOS is not used which can affect the performance of these features

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 27

@walkerx

Yes. So the quality of the services one (currently) receives over a YouView box would be dependant upon the quality of ones line speed . They do point this out in the FAQ's.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 27

@masona2 wrote:

@walkerx

Yes. So the quality of the services one (currently) receives over a YouView box would be dependant upon the quality of ones line speed . They do point this out in the FAQ's.

Not in the BT FAQ's - or if they do I couldn't find this via the link in StephanieG's post

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 27

@walkerx wrote:

@masona2 wrote:

@walkerx

Not in the BT FAQ's - or if they do I couldn't find this via the link in StephanieG's post 

Ah. Forgive me, walkerx. I was referring to YouViews FAQ's. They state one needs a minimum line speed of 3mbps, for a decent service. Though QoS is not mentioned in either. If your not happy about this ommission, why not ask Stephanie to clarify the situation in detail? Or YouView.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 27

I think BT need to mention it in their FAQ'S, otherwise when customer's purchase based on IT's information and then start having issues with non BT apps on the box they are going to complain to bt.
0 Ratings
anorth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 27

Thank you for the various comments and replies. I understand and agree with everything that has been said. I have clearly not outlined my query clearly enough. So accepting all that has been said, currently BT will prioritise, if you like, their traffic over other traffic. Now, at the moment that is capped at 2..5 Meg for ADSL and 8 Meg for Infinity. This means that whatever is left over will work without disruption. Take for example a 10Meg ADSL line, watching on demand will prioritise up to 2.5Meg and still leave 7.5Meg for someone else to use elsewhere in the house to whatever they like with. Everyone is happy. Another example is say an Infinity 20Meg FTTC which currently will have an 8Meg cap; watching a streaming HD on demand film leaves 12Meg for others to play with. Everone is happy. If YouView does not cap that prioritisation, then you are turning the tap off for any other traffic whilst you are using the OnDemand service.

One way to check that everything will carry on with YouView as it has done with BTVision is to check the setting on the BTYouView box. Only nobody has yet identified how you can check that. The Infinity engineers must know, otherwise they would not be able to complete an installation where a customer was using BTVision over YouView.

As a post script, the reason the current FAQs state 3Meg minimum is to allow for the ADSL cap with .5M left over for a little bit of Web surfing and email pickup.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 27

@anorth

I understand now.

And the reason nobody has yet identified how you can check the above is because the boxes have not been launched yet. And those that currently do have the boxes are subject to an NDA (a Non Disclosure Agreement). So no one can answer your question, sorry. 

But I do have a question for you (if I may) -

Are you saying FTTC is already broadcasting HD content at 8mbps? Really? So soon? If it is, the quality must be absolutely stunning.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
anorth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 27

To clarify FTTC is Fibre To The Cabinet. This is Fibre to the road and copper for the last few metres. It is Infinity but not the top speed. I have FTTP SuperFast which is Fibre To The Premises, and SuperFast the maximum you can have if you are on the SuperFast trials.

Prior to Infinity, I had to download an HD movie to watch it once downloaded. Now with Infinity, because of the out of date BT Vbox, once I start the download I can immediately start watching the film as a stream. I think it is a shame that BT Vbox software cannot just switch the menu items for Infinity customers. The box knows you are on Infiinity because of the setting I have been discussing. I hope that the BT Vision software in the YouView box is a little more clever. Which of course is one of the reasons I am interested in whether the YouView-box-BT-software has the cap settings which would mean it knows about Infinity and can provide on demand streaming in a more user freindly fashion.

So far BT have been very low key on the marketing of BT Vison on YouView. In fact they are just saying that you get the same on a different box, and then not all services are available. They could have bigged up their marketing of YouView and Infinity if they pushed the OnDemand HD/HD3D streaming. That would put one over on the NetFlix Lovefilm etc people as BT has the prioritisation Smiley Happy. I think BT have missed a trick here.

I should point out that my son-in-law says that at the obscene dowload speed I have, this is all academic. However it does matter for many people, even with FTTC the may have speed issues, and they certainly would if the cap was not in place. 

0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 27

I guess superfast customers are still in the minority and there's already been a lot of advertising for Infinity.

I think it would be better if Youview didn't tweak your line configuration but simply used what's available better. There are still customers that can't get BT Vision because their line isn't fast enough. But if it buffered more sensibly and allowed more programmes to be downloaded like they do with HD films, then anyone could have Vision/Youview it's just that some might have to wait for their programmes to be delivered.

0 Ratings