cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
shall2809
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT YouView+ 'Players & Apps' Disabled After Cancelling Subscription?

Go to solution

Soooo, I contacted BT yesterday afternoon to enquire about cancelling my BTTV/Internet Channel subscription (£9.50 per month) including BTSport (additional £6 per month) as I only really watch UFC when I get time.  I believe BT only have broadcasting rights for UFC events until the end of this year so it will make the subscription and addon surplus to my requirements. The prospect of saving some money per month was very enticing, I couldn't remove the subscription using the online facilities so called BT as directed.  I was told by the agent I spoke with that I can't cancel the Internet Channel subscription and keep BTSport as BTSport relies upon the Internet Channel service.  I then requested that both be cancelled.  I was then told that by cancelling my BTTV/Internet Channel subscription I will no longer be able to use the recording or live rewinding functions of my BT YouView+ box.  I didn't take too well to this and accused BT of sharp practice, the agent then placed me on hold and then spoke with her manager.  After a short while she came back on the line and apologised for misinforming me and that the record and rewind function WOULD remain following my cancellation BUT that the ondemand content i.e. iPlayer app, Netflix app, Amazon Prime video app etc. would be disabled (?!!).  Seeing as she had made a mistake already I asked her if she was 100% certain of this as I use these apps to access Netflix and Amazon Prime (which I subscribe to separately).  She confirmed she was certain.  I find this incredibly hard to take as I have had the BTTV and BT YouView+ box for over 3yrs, have privately purchased 2 other BT YouView+ boxes and find it very harsh for BT to effectively 'disabled' apps installed on my YouView+ boxes simply because I no longer wish to use the Internet Channels they offer.  Can anyone confirm that this will happen if I cancel my BTTV/Internet Channel subscription?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES
Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT YouView+ 'Players & Apps' Disabled After Cancelling Subscription?

Go to solution

Hi, this is simply amazing that BT are still allowing this wrong information to be relayed to customers. It has been raised on so many occasions that it could now be construed as being deliberate?

The adviser is wrong see here

Stew

0 Ratings
shall2809
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Argh!!! This is so frustrating as I specifically asked about iPlayer, Netflix and Prime Video during my mini rant about how disgusting I thought it was that they would effectively 'nobble' my YouView+ box (presume via a software update) following my subscription cancellation. After reviewing some other posts, I agree that it kind of smacks of being deliberate misinformation!
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I switched my entire BT service away back in July and my UHD box has worked perfectly since. Netflix and iPlayer work fine and since the BT app was also removed the box seems to run better, with no failed recordings or crashes either. Quite useful infact since my Panasonic plasma seems to have a problem with the freesat encoding that BBC have switched to.

0 Ratings