cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

BT YouView - fit for purpose or not?

I had a previous YouView box which failed and was replaced by the engineer, who declared the old one defunct (though there was nothing wrong with the hard drive). This meant I lost all my recordings.

Multiple problems with the current one (including total unresponsiveness on occasion, loss of scheduled recordings/inability to schedule new ones and an inability to record from ITV) meant that an engineer visited this morning and told me that the old boxes were not not being mended/re-set and were being replaced.

This would mean losing another set of recordings (including the Tour de France - I live in Harrogate so this is not something I want to lose).

When I asked if I could keep the old box just to watch the recordings on it, he told me he had to take it away. A call to BT confirmed this.

As it happens, a re-set (keeping the recordings) has effected a fix, but I can see this will be only a temporary measure as the box is clearly wearing out

My point is that BT are selling me a recording system - not just a piece of hardware. If the box fails but the recordings are still available, I don't believe they should remove my means of watching them.

Install a new box, OK - but why take the old one away? Especially as it is clearly going to be no use to anyone as it is obsolete/not worth mending.

I think the BT YouView system as it stands is not fit for purpose and not providing me with what I am paying for, which is a recording system and therefore I should be given the means to retain the recordings if this is possible.

I intend to get some legal advice on this, iinformally in the first instance. But it would be helpful to know the views and experiences of others.

In addition, my understanding is that once the contract period is over, I own the box - so how can the engineer take it away?

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
jam2000
Expert
Message 2 of 26

Re: BT YouView - fit for purpose or not?

Recordings aren't their responsibility. As any hard drive on any device can fail and recordings lost.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

They are not selling us the hardware alone - they are selling it as a means of recording, and accessing their content.

This is the point I am making; if I bought the box itself, it would not be an issue.

I am buying a service from BT -  not just a recording device.

Besides which, it's not a hard drive failure.The recordings are still present and accessible.

And in any case, the box is supposedly mine after the contract period is over - so why do they think they can take it away?

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 4 of 26

This will be the same with any provider, they are not responsible for recordings.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 26

BT sell a TV service.

Some of the boxes don't record at all.

They have a legal responsibility to recycle.

Modern recording devices are not suitable for keeping precious recordings.

BTTV is very much fit for purpose. I really don't see what your point is.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 6 of 26

Yes - it is the same with Sky and VirginMedia  -  they usually just swap out the box whatever the fault and the recordings go as well.

Must say it is rare and I've now over a year in with my BY box and all seems well.

@jam2000 wrote:
This will be the same with any provider, they are not responsible for recordings.

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
0 Ratings
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Nothing to do with recycling.

And the engineer told me that it was theoretically possible to swap the hard drive to another machine but they had been told this was not possible because of copyright law.

I am a copyright licensing officer and I know of no reason why this cannot happen.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 26

Unfortunately I think you will find it is a throw away world. The key word for me is 'theoretically', the days of an engineer actually opening a box and faulting it are long gone. It is easier to just send the box off (scrap or repair centre) and supply another one. If the hard drive on my computer failed I would just be sent another one (if within warranty), they wouldn't retrieve all my data from the failed hard drive for me. BT are selling you a TV service not a storage service. We all see your point but unfortunately you can't expect any company to cover everything, no one ever has!!
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 26

If you want a method to keep recordings, then you'll have to buy yourself a BD-R recorder or similar. Probably cost you £500 ish but that's what you'll need to archive stuff in a way that's not dependent on a hard disk that could fail.

As has been said above, all recorders provided by TV companies are for the purposes of catch-up and not for long term archiving.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 26

Bear in mind that the recording feature of a YouView box is intended to allow recording for time-shifting purposes, for instance to record a program while you are out so you can watch it later.

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act specifically allows such recordings.  It does not allow the recording of programmes to be stored forever.  BT are under no obilgation to help people break copyright law.

0 Ratings