cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: BT YouView - fit for purpose or not?

Nobody is asking them to break copyright law. My having recordings on two boxes does no such thing. The recordings are for personal and private use and that is the basis of all such usage for home recordings. That whole issue is a red herring and I can only assume that the engineer is briefed to tell customers that, to stop them complaining about losing their recordings.

I asked them to fit the new box as they proposed, and leave me the old box - which was mine anyway. This would have meant I could have watched those old recordings even though I could not have made new ones on it. I could have made new ones on the new box.

This they refused to do.

They were not offering to recycle the old box or any such thing. The engineer said - and BT confirmed on the phone - that he would not leave a new box without taking the old one away.

Yet according to my contract, that old box has been my property since November 2013. They had no right to remove it.

My point is that their system is not fit for purpose because they are removing the recordings on OUR boxes when they have no right to do so - they don't own the boxes after the 12 months of the contract is up,  and they are effectively supposed to be providing us with a means of making and retaining recordings. They are also feeding people misinformation about copyright law to discourage them from objecting to this practice.

Other threads elsewhere make it perfectly clear that people are being told the boxes are still the property of BT long after the 12 month contract period and that they have to give them up. This is a contradiction of BT's own T&Cs.

As for the fact that Sky etc seem to operate in the same fashion, all I can say is that their customers may have different contracts. I have checked mine and it clearly states: "Keep your new service for 12 months ...and there's no charge for your kit - it's on us."  And they use the word "service" mind, not product.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 26

If you wanted to keep your old faulty box then you could, but you then couldn't expect BT to supply a new one. If I went back to a shop with nothing in my hands and said my box is faulty please give me a new one I would be laughed out the shop..
0 Ratings
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 26

??? No idea how the shop analogy is relevant. I did not buy a product from BT, I bought a service - which came with a product included, which became my property after the 12 months initial contract expired.

To summarise:

1 The equipment included in the "service" (ie the box)  is now mine. It has been mine since November 2013.

2 I still pay BT for their "service" - despite now using my own box.

3 I am therefore entitled to a new box especially if they believe the old one is obsolete - as I am paying for equipment in my "service". That doesn't mean they can take the old box back as it is now my property.

Do you give your old mobile phone back after 2 years of contract? Of course you don't - you own it after that.

I am still in contract with BT as I am still paying them. I have been for the past 3 years. So they need to supply a new box to ensure that I can use their service. They can't take the old one away as it is now my property and not theirs.

They are also misleading customers by telling them that the boxes are not theirs (quite apart from the rubbish quoted on copyright).

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 26

BT ensure you will have a piece of equipment that you can view the service on while you are subscribing. If that equipment goes faulty they will replace it (removing the old one).

If you want to keep that box AND get a new one you would need to cancel the service and then re-start a brand new service contract (which would come with a new box minus set-up costs).

0 Ratings
theone2k10
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 26

Sky and Virgin will soon be rolling out a cloud service which backs up your recordings upto 1tb i believe, this imo is certainly something BT could look into launching themselves too.

0 Ratings
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 26

They can't remove the old one if you object. It is your property after 12 months.

Not theirs.

If they state that the box is obsolete and must be replaced in order to continue their service, then they need to do just that.

Bu they can't take your old box away as it is yours.

Also they don't "ensure" you have the equipment - they supply it!

Why are you acting as an apologist for BT? They are clearly in the wrong here by their own T&Cs.

A bit of objectivity wouldn't come amiss.

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 17 of 26

They are not wrong, you are in the wrong and BT have offered to replace the box
0 Ratings
rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 26

With Virgin, the equipment remains their property and it's their responsibility to repair/replace as necessary throughout the life of the contract.

Sky & BT are different though - they give you the equipment for free (provided you agree to an initial contract period) and guarantee it for 12 months.
Once that period is over, if the equipment fails, then it's up to you to get it fixed. Sky will swap out your faulty box for a new/refurbished one for £65. BT appear to do the same but for no charge.
Sky wouldn't offer Sky Protect (extended warranty on equipment) if this wasn't the case.
0 Ratings
tp2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 26

Having had a number of boxes go south I fully sympathize!

Given that the box is already provided with a USB port, it would be nice if the Next Version of Software allowed me to plug in an External Drive to either "Backup" my Recordings as mentioned elsewhere, which could then simply be plugged and played on the replacement or used to give me Extended Recording Capability.
0 Ratings
Pollyanna
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 26

What makes the situation entirely ridiculous is that if I cancel the contract - as I probably will - I get to keep the box and pay no more monthly fees for it.

Should I then take out another contract, I am entitled to a new box.

Not a very good way to reward loyal customers.

0 Ratings