Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kajo123
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Youview Box recordings are freezing and losing sound

Hi there,

We've had our set top box since signing up with BT in 2015. 

Every time we now try to play back something that is recorded, after a few minutes it starts glitching adn losing sound, and eventually freezes altogether and the programme becomes unwatchable.  The streaming seems to be fine at the time the programme is live, while recording - it's just on playback of a recording that hte problem occurs (even if it was absolutely fine while watching the programme while recording).  It happens on every programme we record and try to play back now.

We've tried a full reset on the box, and this hasn't improved things.

Our Internet connection and speed is fine and the box is wired to the router (not on wifi), so i don't believe this is a problem (also indicated by the fact that we can watch live without problems).

We've signed up for, i think, 2 new contracts since then, but the box has never been replaced.  Starting to wish we hadn't signed up for the latest contract now 😞 

From the labels on the underside of the box, it looks like it's a Humax DTR T2100/500G, if that's any help?

Any suggestions please?  
Thanks
Kajo

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Youview Box recordings are freezing and losing sound

@kajo123 

When you say you did a full reset , was that one that meant you lost all your recordings?

If your box is now 5 years old then it's likely the hard drive might be failing as that would certainly match your symptons.

If you're still running a BT TV contract then I think a phone call to the help desk should result in you getting a replacement unit. Try 0800 800 150.

A BT mod might step in to help btw and if they do let them take over your problem as they are very good at what they do.

0 Ratings
kajo123
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks! Yes, the reset was the one that lost all the recordings. Did that a couple of months ago, and it hasn't improved things - probably just got worse if anything.  I'm guessing it's something like corrupted hard disk/fragmented or something like that.

Thanks for the super-quick advice about calling the helpdesk - will try that and see how we go!

Kate

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

@kajo123 

Kate , do let us know how you get on.

If the disk was corrupt - a corrupt index structure is not too uncommon - then a complete wipe of recordings would have probably fixed that. So sounds more like the drive is failing and needs replacing which if you're not a BT TV subscriber is fixable on a DIY basis but best try for a replacement.

Note that any replacement from BT now will still belong to them under new contract rules in place at the end of last year and would need to be returned if you leave. The old box is yours and could be put on ebay etc for parts or repair.

0 Ratings
kajo123
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thanks! We still have a contract wth BT, renewed fairly recently, so hopefully a replacement will do the trick. No plans to leave unless the service goes wonky!

0 Ratings
kajo123
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

@TimCurtis 

An Update!

Had a very good call yesterday  with the customer services number you recommended to call yesterday.

Turns out we were actually 'out of contract' (though still paying regular monthly payments for Broadband, Landline and TV packages)  - and because we were out of contract, not eligible to get the YouView box fixed or replaced. 

The helpful call centre chap found equivalent packages for us at a slightly cheaper price so we've taken out those on a new contract and are therefore now back in contract. He asked me to call back (a different 0800 number) this afternoon (to allow 24 hours for the contract to go through) and request a new replacement youview box to be delivered. He said he'd put all the notes on the record so it should be a simple phone call.

I'm now 25 minutes into the phone call, it's been a pretty painful call so far (call centre person insisting that i couldn't possibly have been paying a fixed amount every month on direct debit/Standing order - despite My Account confirming this, and insisting for the first 10 minutes that the last payment date wasn't correct (it was).  But i'm persevering and keeping a smile on my face....

He's just told me that he has now ordered a new G4 (?) box to be delivered on Thursday.  Hopefully this will be the right thing (i'm less confident after today's call than i was after yesterday's call - it was hard work).  Fingers Crossed!!

Many thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

Kajo

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

@kajo123 

The G4 box is the same as you have now so that's OK.

As for being out of contract , well you may have completed your minimum contractual period but as you still subscribe to a TV package you most definitely should have been eligible for a replacement box.

It's the same if your HomeHub failed BT would supply a replacement as you're paying for the service, although it may be a refurbished unit.

I do think at the moment that many of the customer service staff are not totally up to speed.

0 Ratings
kajo123
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Yes, i was interested in this 'out of contract' thing.

The chap explained and was very sure that because our minimum contract (12 months or 24 months) had now passed, even though  we were still paying the same amount for the same services, we were now considered 'out of contract' until we take out a new contract - and i needed to do this in order to get support fo rthe equipment.   I did (verbally) raise my eyebrows at this, but he said that was just the way it is at BT - that equipm,ent is only supported while you are within the 12 or 24 month contract period,even if you are continuing to pay for everything after the end of that period. 

I'll be a little peeved if this is not actually true and i've just committed to a 24 month contract when i didn't need to.....(not least because it has meant wwe've now lost our Eurosport channels) But, hey ho, probably not a lot i can do about that now!

0 Ratings