cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sunflash
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT/Youview Humax box - series record failing and random.

Go to solution

I was delighted with the old "silver BT box". It did exactly what it was meant to do - record what you asked it to record. Simple.

Unfortunately the so called "improved" Youview Humax replacement has been nothing but trouble. The first box simply didn't boot up and had to be replaced.It has had lots of "turn off at the mains" etc (it stopped booting up for time).

This box now has problems with series record:

- Some programmes on series record have "Failed" notices.

- Other simply miss episodes altgether (ironically one such programme was "Missing".)

It seems totally random and is unreliable. I was away last week and NOTHING recoreded properly that was set on "Series".

Can you advise on what is going on?

- is it dreadful software?

- is it the programme makers suddenly being bad at indexing thei series?

It is so bad, I would never recommend this service.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT/Youview Humax box - series record failing and random.

Go to solution

Hi Sunflash,

I'm sorry about the problems you've had with your recordings.  There are a few reasons as to why this may be happening and I'd recommend you try the checks on this link recording problems

If you need any further help post back on this thread.

Thanks

Neil

Sunflash
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

We are still having problems:

- Nothing recorded on Tuesday, even though series record was set for two programmes.

- The box does not start up first time. We always have to switch it off and on at the back.

You said: "If you've lost or have a failed recording, you could always check for the programme in the On Demand or Catch Up players so you don't miss out."

We tried this last night to watch a programme on a series on Rome(Rome. . . )  and one on Italy (Alex . . .). Both were on Channel 5. For both of these, the adverts showed and then it just hung, with a circle icon going round in the top right of the screen: no recording; no "catch up".

The web page you refered to suggested:

1. Check the channel you're trying to record. If you’re having trouble viewing the channel, or any other channels, they won't record properly. We have no known or reported sugnal problems on the channels but have asked an aerial specialiost to come out (again) to double check signal strenght etc.
  2. Check your equipment cabling is connected securely - it is correct
  3. Make sure you don't switch off your BT TV box or BT Home Hub when you have a scheduled recording - we always leave the hub on (Hub 5)
  4. Check any series recordings have been set up correctly, by going to the 'Scheduled' section of the recordings menu - this is the first thing we did and the programmes are there and confirm the date they will record, but for many of them they simply aren't recorded.

As I said in my earlier post, the "silver box" was brilliant, so how can a so-clled upgrade be so bad? This is the second Youview box you have supplied (the first one was just as troublsome so you swapped it) and frankly , it is so untrustworthy and random that it is virtually useless. I seem to spend more time starting, restarting, waiting and factory resetting (and losing the few recrding we actually did get) than actually watching anything.

• Have I got another "bad box"?
  • Have you done some bad software upgrades?
  • Is this everyone's experience?

We are feeling very frustrated with this service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Frustrating --

- The box does not start up first time. We always have to switch it off and on at the back.

This is the fault/problem that I suggest you focus BT on . If the box is not consistently  coming out of standby successfully then it is likely that all subsequent activities including recordings simplywon't happen.

0 Ratings
Sunflash
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Just to say this is solved. After getting a new box and a couple of BT visits nothing had improved, then the last BT technician to vists decided to choose a different transmitter, which did not appear as an option when the problem started. It now works fine.

The issue where I live is that I am on the boundary of two regions (London and Meridian) and it is not obvious which I should opt for both in termsof pointing my arial and tuning. As the map on the internet suggested I am just in Merian and my arial already pointed that way, I simmply chose another transmitter when resetting the box and it have been fine ever since.

One BT technician said that the new YouView boxes did not hunt for the best sugnal and that was behind the prblems. He said the old BT box automatically used the best signal and changed if it varied.

My Advice:

Before checking if the YouView box is faulty, look at the transmitter options when you rest the box and choose a different transmitter: each region has a number of them.

0 Ratings