cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
63acornwall
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Youview + Set Top Box

I am an existing BT TV customer with BT supplied Youview+ Set Top Box .

We have a second TV that needed a PVR attached so could record programs and also access internet apps eg iPlayer.

The best buy for this PVR was a BT Youview+ Set Top Bow supplied by Amazon ( not BT)

Unfortunately if we try to use this it conflicts with existing box and BT send error message requiring one or other of the boxes to be switched off . Spoke to a BT rep and they said there was nothing they could do about this as box was not  supplied by BT . I guess the Amazon box needs unlocking in some way ?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Youview + Set Top Box

Unless you subscribe to Extra Box (which I think is £5 a month) you can only have one box connected to your broadband, alas BT insist that the second box has to be supplied by them.

Edit: https://www.bt.com/help/tv/getting-set-up/can-i-watch-bt-tv-in-more-than-one-room-

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 3 of 10

@63acornwall 

There really shouldn't be a problem as I've 2 Youview boxes but only 1 of those accesses the BT subscription channels - that should be the only limitation.

It shouldn't matter where the box was sourced from.

I think maybe I'd try a Maintenance Mode reset - see here for details. If you've no recordings on that new box then use option 5 otherwise option 4.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10

@TimCurtiswrote:

@63acornwall 

It shouldn't matter where the box was sourced from.

I may be wrong but the way I read it, it is a condition of Extra Box that both boxes are supplied by BT.

16: I have two TV boxes from BT, can I benefit from Extra Box?
Yes, if both boxes have been supplied by BT you can add the Extra Box subscription to your BT TV account, to access BT TV services on both boxes.

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/getting-set-up/can-i-watch-bt-tv-in-more-than-one-room-

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 5 of 10

@Anonymous

As far as Extra Box is concerned I'm sure you are correct.

However, there should be no reason - in my view - why another Youview box from any source should not work alongside a BT supplied one with a TV package but not be able to access the subscription channels.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 10

@TimCurtiswrote:

@Anonymous

As far as Extra Box is concerned I'm sure you are correct.

However, there should be no reason - in my view - why another Youview box from any source should not work alongside a BT supplied one with a TV package but not be able to access the subscription channels.

Agreed, it shouldn't make any difference either on freeview or with the apps but I know from personal experience that if you have two boxes connected (irrespective of who supplied them) and you don't have Extra Box, that you receive a message on screen stating that you have too many boxes connected (I can't remember the exact wording)

0 Ratings
welshgit
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

i have 4 pvr s

1 t4000  from bt

1 t2100 argos

2 t 2000  currys

i have bttv  and extra box on the t4000 and 1 of the t2000 all works fine . if for any reason i have to reset any box, after a set up scan it says you are unable to view as you have too many boxes but this is only on the bt channels ,freeview is ok  i just press back  

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 8 of 10

@welshgit 

That's exactly how it should work.

Hopefully that'll help @63acornwall 

0 Ratings
63acornwall
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for the replies , especially Tim Curtis , will try the box reset ,if you hear no more then its fixed !

0 Ratings
WilfH
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Hi

I also have two boxes connected - T4000 is the main box and a T2110 as a secondary. It works fine as long as you don’t try to select any of the IGMP subscription channels. When you do it says too many boxes connected and offers you the chance to change the current box to have your subscription channels. 
I have hidden the subscription channels on the 2110 so it isn’t a problem and everything else works as normal. 

wolf

0 Ratings