Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

BT Youview box noise

Go to solution

Hi!

For the last 2 days my BT Youview DTRT2100 box has started making a bit of a racket when it is on. When it starts loading up there is a strange whirring noise, it all loads up and comes on, this seems to take a bit longer than usual though,but then makes a sort of chugging noise, almost like a car engine starting up is the best way i can describe it, when i am actually watching programmes on it, which is quite irritating. I have tried restarting the box, unplugging etc, but these noises will not go away, usually the box is so quiet, but this has only been happening for the last couple of days. Any ideas anyone? Many Thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Youview box noise

Go to solution

Possibly a noisy cooling fan, they can get clogged with dust which stops them from working properly.

0 Ratings
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, yes, that was what i first thought, the box and area around it is regularly dusted and kept clean, though i know that may not be enough, given the box a good clean over and dusting again , unplugged,  started the start up process again, but still the problem seems to persist, never really had a problem before in all the years i have had the box, ooh well, i will see if there is any improvement over the next few days.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

If you are still in a contract, then you could ask BT for a replacement box.

If not under contract, then if you can find a competent electronics technician, it should be possible to replace the fan, if that is the cause.

With those small chassis fans, its not possible to do anything with them, apart from replace them.

0 Ratings
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply Keith, yes i am still in contract for my TV Services, i will see how it goes over the next day, there does not seem to be any improvement at the moment, if it carries on, i will have to get in touch with BT about the possibility of a new box. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I don't believe that Youview model  (DTR-T2100) has a fan.

GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Must be something else causing it then, will see what it is like tomorrow.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

The only moving parts are inside the hard drive, my guess is that it's failing.

0 Ratings
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Still the same noises coming from the box this morning, anyone know of a number i can phone BT on, that is for the TV services, or is it just a case of phoning the usual customer services?   Many Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

All sorted now, phoned customer services, got a replacement box arriving by monday. Thanks for all your help and advice everyone.

0 Ratings