cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 10

BT Youview - my musings

I have been playing with the box over the weekend and just thought I would mention some of the things I have come across.

I did have some problems with the display zooming in, but that hasn't happened for a few days.

I had a failed recording on Thursday, but other than that everything has started and finished pretty much exactly at the start and end of the program. I don't like relying on the box and broadcasters and I would much rather be able to add padding, like the BT box, but so far so good.

Had a pleasent surprise tonight when I discovered I can record 2 channels and watch a 3rd, as long as it is on the same Mux as one of the 2 I am recording. I don't think I could do this with the BT box, could I?

Currently recording Rocky and the recording has stopped half way, because of a news broadcast and then a second recording has started for the next half. I don't think I like this....I would rather it had just recorded the whole film in 1 go, rather than have 2 recordings for 1 film. I haven't watched it yet, so I don't know how accurate the starts and stops are on that one.

Had a nice popup on screen that told me it was recording a program. I haven't noticed it before, so I will keep my eyes open for it to make sure it is consistantly appearing.

The scheduled recordings list is very confusing. It seems to have a duplicate on screen for every Series Recording I have setup. This is the kind of thing I would expect to be tweaked/improved in an update.

Overall impression is that I like the box. I will be interested to know for definate what is in the next update.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Youview - my musings

DRH, it will also automatically select a HD programme recording, if one is available, over an SD one. I only found this out by reading the YouView forum. And glad the 'zoom' problem doesn't happen any more, as it's not a known YouView problem.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

@masona2 wrote:

DRH, it will also automatically select a HD programme recording, if one is available, over an SD one. I only found this out by reading the YouView forum. And glad the 'zoom' problem doesn't happen any more, as it's not a known YouView problem.

Hasn't happened again YET 🙂 Not that I am pessimistic or anything.....

I have set series recordings up on the HD channels for pretty much everything I watch, so I haven't come across that feature yet. I tend to record everything I watch, so that I can fast forward through the adverts. I very very rarely watch anything in real time.

0 Ratings
SRB
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

The theory of the "driven by EPG" recording is actually a very good one, as each programme starts, the individual channels playout software should send an update trigger to the "live epg" and start the box recording. Not all channels seem to do this though, on Ch5 the box appears to record based on the time the programme should have gone to air, rather than the time it did.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

The zooming problem has happened again today 😞

I agree the theory of the driven by epg is good.....but it doesn't work 100% on all channels. I would much rather have control of it.
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

I have solved the zooming problem!!! I have been recording a program, every weekday, which is in 4:3 format (I won't tell you what it is because it is embarassing :)) When I played it back, my TV was adjusting the screen automatically to fit the picture on screen. When it finished, the picture wasn't being adjusted back, which caused the menus to be stretched off the screen.

I am not sure whether this is a TV issue or YouView issue? No other device, including the BT Vision box, had this problem. I have disabled this 'feature' on the TV now, so hopefully it won't happen again.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 10

Does the TV support the ability to have a different zoom mode for each input? Auto is usually best avoided.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

No, it's one setting for all inputs. As I say, I have never had a problem before and I have always found the viewing experience fine. It is only now I have added the YouView box that this issue has appeared. Oh well, one problem solved 🙂
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

and another problem found....

So, watching Rocky from last night, which it recorded in 2 parts because of the news. First part is OK, although it recorded the whole of the news broadcast in the middle (which seems to negate the reason for recording in 2 parts). The second half then appears to have missed a large chunk of the film, from what I can tell of the storyline. Grrrrr.
0 Ratings
SRB
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

I suspect YouView had hoped it's main partners would have rolled out the "recording trigged by EPG" s/w by the time the platform eventually launched. I'm guessing adding padding will be a major s/w problem, though this should have been thought about before now, lol

0 Ratings