cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ney
Expert
Message 1 of 10

BT could start a new Entertanment channel.

This link was was posted over on the Digital Spy Youview part of the forums.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/05/sky-1-virgin-1-bt-1.html

There was rummers about this last year but the same rummers have come up yet again.

I would not mind of BT started its own entertanment channel as long as it was a little better than there AMC channel and broadcast more hours.

I do watch AMC but I cant say I watch it everyday and dont seem to watch AMC at the weekends.

Darrren

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
nickmorc
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT could start a new Entertanment channel.

They would be great if they did, since BT lost Fox, they need to do something to soften the loss.

0 Ratings
ShadyCreek
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

This could prove very interesting.  There must be lots of partnership opportunities for commissioning original content, and there are still lots of U.S. shows that don't get picked up for UK broadcasting.  

It is great to see that more channels are slowly becoming available on other platforms (other than Sky) and with the recent intrdouction of C5 HD onto Freeview this is another good step forward.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

No idea if much substance behind it but a few weeks ago the telegraph reported rumours that BT were looking at the possibility of taking over the running of Youview by themself. The implication was that they thought that just being one of several stakeholders in the platform and the subsequent politics was holding back their TV ambitions and they were concerned that Sky were ploughing ahead with new TV developments. Also BBC, ITV, Ch4, etc seem to have largely lost interest in Youview, reduced their financial commitment, and moved forward with Freeview Play and Freesat Freetime.

Youview has never really fulfilled its promise in my view. Most people just think of it as a pay TV platform. They had the chance a few years back to push widespread retail sales of Youview boxes and also make it the new standard built into all new UK TV's to replace Freeview, but it just never happened.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 10

Youview was a great idea on paper but with so many interested parties with clearly different agendas, Youview is just now left with two main shareholders. BT will need to consolidate their platforms as now they have taken over EE, they are running Youview, BT Vision and EE TV. 

Perhaps we may just have the Youview version without the Youview name?

Stew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

Yes back in say 2012 I honestly thought that the Freeview brand name might have been replaced by Youview come 2016. Imagine if every new TV had the Youview logo on it and you could buy lots of different Youview and Youview+ boxes. Imagine all of these devices supporting the easy addition of extra pay TV from the likes of BT and TalkTalk. Now stop imagining and forget it because it didn't take that route! 🙂

The question is indeed where do BT go now for the long term? Do they keep supporting Youview with the lack of direct control that goes with it? Do they effectively take over Youview? Do they drop Youview and rebrand EE TV as BT TV and use that platform?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Instead of 'Youview from BT' how about 'Sky Q from BT'. Now that would be a surprise move! 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

In some ways the simplest solution would seem to be....

Let the BBC, ITV, etc stop funding Youview and concentrate on Freeview and Freesat.

Let TalkTalk take over Youview and rebrand it TalkTalk TV.

Rebrand EE TV as BT TV and also let Plusnet (who are owned by BT) offer BT TV.

Sorted.
Guru
Message 9 of 10

Too easy.

Stew

0 Ratings
tassiekev
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Wouldn't mind if the EE box replaced the current Youview box, then we'd have access to NowTV Entertainment, Sky Movies & Sports as well as BT Sport & AMC in one box. Maybe I.m just greedy :).

0 Ratings