cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
aq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

BT don't care about their elderly and limited dexterity customers. Why? i.e. Radio recording fault.

Asked years ago for better elderly remote for father and others. Nothing done by BT.

BT delete feature to hide some channels if you want to just access a few, due to dexterity or speed of pushing buttons issue. BT just ignore issue.

BT now don't fix radio play recording issue, customers find a temporary fix, but BT leaves those dependent on radio and with little mobility in their fingers lost. BT time after time don't care about people with these disablities.

If you are fleet of mind and body you can overcome these issues. If you are disabled by age, for example, BT time after time don't care.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT don't care about their elderly and limited dexterity customers. Why? i.e. Radio recording fau

Get a universal remote control more suited to someone with limited dexterity.

Hide function was restored some time ago and is better than it was in that it is now possible to restore hidden channels as required rather than all of them.

Use another radio which can also be operated by the universal remote control.

0 Ratings
aq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Re: BT don't care about their elderly and limited dexterity customers. Why? i.e. Radio recording fau

To Gomez,

you are wrong. A universal remote will not operate more than the basic functions of the BT box. My father has one already and for "normal" tv it is fine but nothing else of BT's functions. You are wrong again about hide function. It is only restored on the "guide". Before it could be limited to half a dozen channels for the cusomter if they wanted just a few , so as not to get lost and confused amongst the hundreds available.  You are correct in your third point but you are patronizing. Why should according to you a BT customer should not listen to recording on the BT service they pay for, but obtain another facility instead. In your case the elderly person will have another control to consue themselves.

Perhaps you don't genuinely understand but it is literally true that as you age your faculties deteriorate and fail. An example being of holding a remote and think you are talking on the phone. It also can take multiple attempts to input for example channel 231. Leaving you so frustrated that you could cry.

BT don't care.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 4 of 18

@gomezzwrote:

. . .

Go on tell us all just what radio recorder can be operated by a remote control by the elderly and be procured and operated at no extra expense than that already given to BT for the defective YouView box 

Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 18

Hi @aq

Thanks for posting, first off this is a customer to customer community offering friendly advice and not all the post are seen or read by BT .

I can appreicate your comments and frustrations about accessibility for people with restrictions or with a disabilty.

Having a mother who has restrictions in her hands and fingers, I totally understand where you are comming from and the issues people can face with such challenges. However, we have to take into account that hardware changes can take months or years to research, design and test before it comes to market if at all. And it can take a while to implement any firmware changes as YouView is not soley down to BT. Like alot of larger companies BT does not always tell its customers its plans to introduce new or requested features or any changes to hardware. Thats not to say they won't make any to assist the functionality or make the customer experience better.

You can if you wish purchase a universal remote that can offer advanced features which you can actually programme how you want to work both on a touch screen or physical buttons. It maybe is not the instant solution you were looking for from BT, but one that would offer a fast solution to the remote issue. 

BT - Including You 

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

@Stevek1311wrote:

@gomezzwrote:

. . .

Go on tell us all just what radio recorder can be operated by a remote control by the elderly and be procured and operated at no extra expense than that already given to BT for the defective YouView box  

That is adding an extra constraint on what the user was asking for.  I stand by all the advice I offered earlier.  I regret that it is not what the user wants to hear.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

So basically it has nothing to do with BT not caring about the elderly, it is about the functions of the device falling short for ALL users regardless of their age or dexterity.

gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

@Stevek1311wrote:

Your post was trying to divert  

Absolutely not.  I was trying to offer *practical* advice to help resolve the user's issues.  I leave the complaints about the BT products and service (whether justified or not) to BT to deal with, not least because there is nowt I can do about that.

0 Ratings
aq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Thank you for your balanced points. Any equipment supplied by BT should be usable by all. It should not be necessary to have to buy ( if necessary programme in your point ) extra remotes or equipment to have a half chance of using BT's TV services. The fact that BT have ignored many requests to aid the elderly/ disabled user, such as my father is why BT don't care.

I assume it is also poor business practice in ignoring a large section of society. This "Grey Pound" is only likely to grow and grow.

0 Ratings
aq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Perhaps you are correct but it is much more apparent as someone slowly loses their ability to use a remote, TV guide, menu etc. With BT being asked again and again to provide support over such issues for the elderly and ignoring the points. It makes the point over ignoring the elderly in their plight with TV technology. In this case BT.

0 Ratings