Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT extra box and BT TV app

Go to solution

Hello All,

I'm getting in a bit of a pickle with the BT tv app explanation - we have just upgraded to Entertainment plus so the BT TV app is included.  I'd like to get another box to work in the livingroom so have been reading that a subscription to the TV app and an extra box would be needed - as we already have the TV app included do I also need to pay the extra subscription on top of buying the box?   The other issue is that the page says we need 23mb in order to have a box in two rooms - we get 22mb (if the wind is in the right direction 🙂 ) but my daughter watches television on a Now TV box at the same time as the other half watches BT football and I'm usually online too all without any issues - so is there something that would make the 23mb essential for the two BT boxes? 

I hope that all makes sense!  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best wishes, Tracey

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT extra box and BT TV app

Go to solution

Having done a bit more careful reading I think its safe to say that I need the multiroom subscription - the boxes don't have the apps on (I hope that's right!), they are for mobile devices.

Can anyone answer the question as to whether BT are very strict about the need for 23mb speed for a second box please.  I would ring and ask but the upgrade of our package is showing there is a problem of some sort - everything is working as it should be and I don't want to upset the apple cart by confusing anything 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@captainkirk the ordering system does require that you have speeds above 23Mb and this is to ensure there is enough bandwidth to accommodate both boxes watching an HD channel at the same time and leave enough speed to ensure you can still use the internet and record other IP channels at the same time without issues.  

Can you complete a speed test on this link and post the results ensuring to remove your telephone number?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hello Neil, thanks for the help -  I think I've made a bit of a hash copying the results but they are:

Download 22.18

Upload 2.26

Ping 19.50

As I said before, we regularly have BT TV (football) on along with a NOW tv box in another room and use the computer at the same time as the two tv's streaming without any issue.

speedtest.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Your actual speed test does not matter

You need to go on DSLchecker and see what is the lowest valur for a clean line, this has to be higher than the threshold for multiroom

It could be that your actual speed is higher but you still won't pass the check

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I guess the figures below rule us out then - does BT multiroom require more 'juice' than running Now TV and BT TV at the same time? 

VDSL Range A (Clean)19.613.52.2111.4Available----Yes--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)17.17.72.10.85.2Available----Yes--
FTTP on Demand33030--Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3.5Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available--------
Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available--------
VDSL Multicast------Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available 
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

So you are at the top of your group however your clean A low is lower than 23mb so you can't order multiroom

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks Interceptor, much appreciated - I had a feeling that would be the case, it's a shame because we watch two feeds now quite happily and without issue. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
Nowtv only uses 2.5 mbps and most streaming services use 3.5 mbps
BT tv is around 8-10 so with two you would be maxed out
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

It's a complicated thing having to crunch numbers to watch tv isn't it - I was talking to my daughter this afternoon about only having three channels to choose from when I was young, her face was a picture and I now feel like a dinosaur 🙂

0 Ratings