cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 118

BT need to improve their TV package?

I've just been reading BT quarterly report, and whilst their broadband sign-ups are doing well, thanks to the inclusion of free BT Sport, their tv service is now starting to lag behind, with only 40,000 new customers in the quarter....the slowest rate of growth for more than a year.

They now have about 1m homes with BTTV, whereas TalkTalk, even with their past record of poor customer service, have 1.1m. so what needs to be done?

The answer must be more tv channels.

So come on BT, get your act together....you are being left behind!

117 REPLIES 117
digitaltvmad
Contributor
Message 2 of 118

Re: BT need to improve their TV package?

Yes they did a large update last Autumn and few later but they are not working hard to get new customers and keep others with them with enlarging the number of
Channels like other platforms in the digital TV world.
BT needs to work much more harder with channels like sky one, sky living, cbs horror and sky movies in hd would be great along with Eden HD ...
As talk talk is going for music and other languages channels BT should make for HD its goal .
Freeview is about to free up EPG on the 300 up to allow more internet TV by youview so BT maybe holding up for that move
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 118

They are going to struggle to get any Sky channels.  Sky sees them as competition because of BT Sport, so they don't willingly offer anything to BT.

All the other TV providers are effectively just Sky resellers.  So Sky gets paid whether the customer goes to Sky, Virgin Media or TalkTalk.

0 Ratings
digitaltvmad
Contributor
Message 4 of 118

Yes sky will try and hold up any company that gives TV Radio Internet etc. As it did to ondigital / itv digital and Virgin had a fight with each other but with power of public and offcom all ended ok.
Sky has been told to sell tv channels before and over time it has.
Sky is not only channels about too as there is uktv cbs Turner and few others that looking for market .

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 118

Hopefully a decision shouldn't be too far away forcing Sky to wholesale Sky Sports 1 & 2 on the BT Youview platform.
What BT need to address is to simplify BT proposition:
Sky Movies not available on multiroom.
Vision boxes cannot do multiroom.
No Sky Sports on Youview - all confusing for new customers. The web page is unhelpful too.
Highlighted
clinton1
Contributor
Message 6 of 118

i for one tottally agree,Although Bt dont need to go to sky to improve the tv packages ,My thoughts are to have BT 1 channel like sky have sky 1,horror channel,mgm movie channle etc ,i enjoy the sports but would like a vast improvement on the TV package side to complement the sports package .

digitaltvmad
Contributor
Message 7 of 118

Totally agree with you on that BT shouldn't go on sports alone as they will only go the way of itv digital and over bid for sports against sky and that will make prices for tv to high for customers who just like other channels like film music factual kids and entertainment. ....... So BT bring us channels like Eden CBS Horror Film 4 HD Dave HD Watch+1 ITV 2 HD ITV 3 HD ITV 4 HD E4 HD CNN USA TCM HD
0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 8 of 118

Although im almost happy with BT TV and Youview I think there BT Film and TV box sets could do with having a little more content if they also want to try and take on the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime.

For my sister has Nexflix and from what I have seen it has more of a film choice than on BT film and box sets and shes only playing £2 more than the BT Film and box sets bolt on that I also have.

I have never used BT box office and ok the latest films og on there and thats fine but I have also see some fils that are now a good few years old are still on BT box office.

I also agrere that I cant see anymore Sky channels coming to BT anytime soon its a shame for anyone with the Sky Movies bilt on cant have multi room if they wanted it.

I don't have the Sky Movies bolt on.

My sister is now letting me use her Netflix account via my Samasung smart TV in my bedroom.

Darren

0 Ratings
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 118

The addition of Sky Sport on BT Youview would be a good incentive for people to stay with BTTV, although I would not expect this in the short term knowing how put out Sky are about BT's decision not to give them access to BT Sport.

More ordinary programmes such as Eden, Dave etc would help to retain customers in the meantime.

They do however need to do something fairly quickly, and certainly before  they start charging for BT Sport, which they will have to do at some point because of the price they paid for the football rights.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 10 of 118

Although I do like watching sport. Once in a while I don't watch enough sport to be paying for Sky Sports as well as other sport channels. 

I do see how getting Sky Sports 1 and 2 on BT TV via Youview would be a good thing for the platform if the price per month for the channels was at the price and not to dear.

Like others I can't any other Sky channels coming to BT via YouView anytime soon.

For now I would just be happy with having the rest of the UK TV channels and the rest of the Discovery owned channels.

Also as I posted above a little more content via BT Film and box sets.

Darren

0 Ratings