Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

BT sport HD skipping/jumping every 5mins

I had an original problem with my tplink powerline adapters that I couldn't get BT sport randomly. I've now got some BT powerline and it now works all time, before it would be black screen.

However watching BT sport HD I get random skips/jumps for like a second every 5 mins or so, it's so so annoying when watching. Why? Is it just to be blamed on internet speed/powerline again?

My BB speed in general is fine, I do a speed test in my BT TV box via powerline and says too slow for ultra HD, but HD is fine. I've plugged a cable direct from BT TV TTY o BT hub and ran test and says can t ultra HD, but this was just a cable ran in down stairs for a test.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES
PEMforumReg
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT sport HD skipping/jumping every 5mins

Do you get the skipping if you connect via an Ethernet cable, rather than the Powerline modules
0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Never tried it when I had the Ethernet connected actually. I may yagain at W/end. However it only seems to be BT Sport HD, whereas other internet HD channels are ok, from what I've witnessed or recorded anyway
0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 12

Hello QoQ

Testing with a hard wired connection is a great way to rule in or out any powerline adaptors.

The powerline adaptors can work very well, although there are things to take into account, for example they should be on the same ringmain. I say this as you mentioned running a cable downstairs.

If you're still getting issues after you've tested with the wired connection, please contact me if you need any assistance and I'll do what I can.

Martin.

BT TV ExpertMartin--W
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go Here for more info.
0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

They are on a different ring main yes. Connecting direct did make a much better connection, but this will as it's direct.

I had more problems initially when I used my uplink powerline adapters, they wouldn't get a picture, although worked for PS4 etc.

I got some BT powerline and hey now get a picture on internet channels but they are skipping. I tried other internet channels and seems the same.
0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 6 of 12

Hello QoQ

Being on a different ringmain is very likely to cause this type of issue.

I wonder if there is any chance of moving the hub nearer - am happy to discuss possible options with you if you wish to contact me direct with your details.

Martin.

BT TV ExpertMartin--W
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go Here for more info.
0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Do you have to have the hub connected direct to what is allocated as the telephone master socket? The first one in the house as that's what I was told.

I do have a telephone extension in there same room as the BT TV box so could I move the hub to there? I then could have a direct Ethernet link to the BT TV box?

Thanks
0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 8 of 12

Hello QoQ

Whilst it's prefered to have the hub connected to the master socket, it should not be a problem connecting it to an extension.

If you were to do that, would you then be able to hard wire the connection to the BT TV unit or would you still be using powerline adaptors albeit on the same ringmain?

Might be quicker to talk directly with you if you would prefer then I can understand your set up a little better.

Martin.

BT TV ExpertMartin--W
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

I'd probably be able to run a cable direct to the BT TV box if the hub was there yes.

By the nature of powerline, they should work over different ring mains, which they are actually just not at the speed required for full speed though.

I might try a hub move first, although both sure on placement and running cable to BT TV box yet

Thanks
0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Well using on demand on 5 today and the programme kept stopping with an error, pressed it again and it continues. I presume it's because of streaming issues.

However using Netflix on the BT TV box, watching an HD program, it's absolutely fine, no buffering or stopping and this is obviously using the same BT powerline etc.

So it's only the BT HD sport, demand, internet channels on the BT, whereas Netflix works fine? Something is up here?

Anyone help please?
0 Ratings