Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Caher
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT v Freeview picture quality?

Go to solution
Just been flicking through the BBC channels comparing Freeview to the BT BOX and there is a noticeable difference in quality; the Freeview HD is much better than the BT HD.
Any reason for this as I believe they use the same input?
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
jam2000
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT v Freeview picture quality?

Go to solution
How is your Youview box connected and what settings are you using on the Youview box?
0 Ratings
Caher
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

I have an aerial splitter so have 1 connection going directly to the TV and another to the box and then to the tv via HDMI.

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
Have you tried another hdmi lead and socket on the TV?
0 Ratings
Caher
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Yes - it has been like this since day 1. It is clearly an HD picture but not of the quality of the TV. Incidentally, I will also watch BBC I Player through my video app as this has a better picture than the BT tv one.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

The splitter Is probably the issue especially if the signal from the transmitter is not that good where you are. Normally the way to connect is the lead from the aerial straight into the BT box then a fly lead from the output connection on the box to the TV, have you tried that?

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

I don't see how the aerial signal affects the quality of the picture - it did in the analogue era but not in digital. Ther is either the full signal or none at all.  It sounds as if the processing of the signal is at fault.

0 Ratings
Martyfp68
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I observe exactly the same with my TV native display of HD channels compared to that of the BT box. (I have the UHD box)  The native TV display is a lot sharper and detailed compared to that via the HDMI from the BT box.   Also, the screen is large enough and we generally sit close enough to really tell the difference.  :-)

In my case, I have tried the antenna pass through and also with the TV running off a separate ariel connection.  Although, as this is digital, it should really make no difference to the actual picture quality.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to ensure that the display settings were identical between the two sources and still the difference was fairly clear.  There are a lot of different settings but I am happy that they are aligned.

I could improve the BT TV display slightly by forcing it into 10bit output mode (plus matching setting on the TV)  and increasing the sharpening more for the BT box source.   It is now better but still slightly worse with the BT-Box.   Normally I just ignore it but sometimes, watching sport for example, I will switch to watching the TV native picture rather than the BT-box.

I assume that my TV (Samsung j8500) does some additional processing on the incoming stream that the BT box does not do and the TV does not do on the HDMI inputs.

0 Ratings
harrysmith0
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I don't find the solution to this problem despite it being called solved? I get a better picture quality through Freeview on the 4k TV than I do on the BT YouView Box.  I have a single aerial going in to a YouView+ Ultra HD box. The aerial out from the YouView+ Ultra HD box then goes into the TV (called an LG OLED55E7P). An HDMI cable from the YouView+ Ultra HD box goes into the TV. The Freeview picture via the aerial is better than the YouView via HDMI. I have tried 3 different HDMI cables - maybe there is a better one out there, but I suspect that the Freeview tuner is better.

The performance of the YouView software is far more useable than the Freeview - programme guide is much more responsive as is channel switching. It's just the picture that is not as good. The YouView box reports the signal Strength as varying between 98% and 100% and the signal Quality is fixed on 100%. I do not see equivalent settings for the HDMI. Are there any other changes that can be made to improve the picture? I thought about using an external hard disc to record on the TV and ditching the YouView, but I do like the YouView’s usability.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@harrysmith0 wrote:. It's just the picture that is not as good. The YouView box reports the signal Strength as varying between 98% and 100% and the signal Quality is fixed on 100%.
Please read this page  regarding signal level Picture breakup or missing FreeView channels

You will need to connected to BT Broadband to access any links I post which are hosted on my website..
If you are connected to BT Broadband, and you cannot access them, then please let me know on this thread. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings