Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Houghty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT will not replace my faulty BT TV box as I am within cancellation period

Go to solution

Bit of a long story but thought best to put the whole story so far down, hoping for your opinions please.

Situation is I cancelled my BT TV after initial 12 month period on 4 January as I didn’t really watch the ‘extra’ channels much, and was happy just to use the box as freeview recorder from now on. I was told I needed to give 30 days notice so service would expire on 2 February. 2 days later on 6 January my box packed-up, it would go into waking up mode then shut off altogether without booting up and all the lights would go off. I phoned tech support and they arranged for an engineer to visit. The engineer never arrived as he had got held up as had apparently gone over his 12 hours time limit ( no call was received from Qube to advise me of this) so another appointment was made for yesterday, and when I phoned to check an engineer was due I was told that the problem had been reported as fixed!?! The advisor asked what the problem was and when I had explained he told me they would normally just send out a new box and could not understand why I was previously told an engineers visit was the next step. As a result he offered to apply a credit to my account due to the poor service and mis-advice given. However when he tried to order a replacement box to be sent to me he said the system would not let him do this without charging me as I had already cancelled the service, (even though I was still contracted to pay until the service ended at the end of the cancellation period) all he could do was to apply a further credit from the date the problem was reported to the day the service was due to end,which I initially accepted. However it then occurred that I would be left with a box that was useless as it did not work which I don’t think is right, as I will have to pay for another freeview recorder box myself to replace this broken one. My question is do you think I am being unreasonable expecting BT to send a replacement box as I was still paying a monthly fee for it at the time it broke? Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
wwwebber
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT will not replace my faulty BT TV box as I am within cancellation period

Go to solution

I'd say if you wanted a new box you should sign up for another 12 months. Why should BT invest in a customer thats leaving ?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I think what often happens with a replacement box is that your contract could be extended for another 12 months but obviously if you've given notice of cancellation then that won't apply.

If you're happy to use a Youview box as just a Freeview recorder the cheapest solution is to sign up for another 12 months. Talk to Customer Options on 0800 800 030 & see what offer they'll give you. It's still the cheapest way of getting a freeview recorder unless you get one on eBay - without any warranty!

0 Ratings
Houghty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Thanks Tim I think in the circumstances this is the best way forward, cheers!
0 Ratings