cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
efelstead
Contributor
Message 1 of 59

BTTV using a BT You View box bought from Currys???

Go to solution

Dear Listers

I have a BT You View box I bought from Currys before I had fibre broadband.

I now have the full Infinity 2 package.

I have just signed up for the BT Tv starter package to watch BT Sport on my TV BUT I am concerned that I will not be able to use my You View box as I have been told it is not "linked" to my BT Account.

This seems so unfair as I will have to ditch a perfectly good BT You View box in favour of an inferior "Starter" box with no recording capability.

I would be grateful if any reader has come across this and if so is there a way I can continue to use the BT You View box I bought from Currys when my BT Tv package is activated??

Most comments I have seen when I searched seem to imply that it is not possible to use two You View boxes from one manuafacturer (Humax in this case) in the same room.

Is this true??

I am completely confused and would be grateful for any help.

Thank you

Edward

0 Ratings
58 REPLIES 58
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 59

Re: BTTV using a BT You View box bought from Currys???

Go to solution
It will work perfectly fine - it will link to your account when you try to access BT Sport.
0 Ratings
efelstead
Contributor
Message 3 of 59

Go to solution

Hi "brookheather"

Thank you for your very prompt and encouraging reply.

Can I ask another question .

My BT Tv package is due to be activated next Tuesday.

BT are sending me the Youview box for the "Starter" package.

If I read your advice correctly I am intending to ignore this Starter box and continue with my You View  retail box

connected to the BT Router in the hope the Bt Sport packages will appear on my You View EPG.

Is this the procedure you would advise??

Thank you

Edward

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 59

Go to solution

Hi, yes that sounds like the way i would do it. The only small point to be aware of is that I believe BT Sport is like a seperate product and needs to be ordered also (even though it will be free). Just worth bearing in mind as some people have got thier TV activated and found the the sports isn'tworking. It just needs ordering on the site if this does happen.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 5 of 59

Go to solution

I use the Youview G4 box that I bought out of Currys a good few months ago and it works fine with the BT TV. Im now on the entertanment max package.

The G4 box is one of the better PVRs I have used in a good few years.

Im using the old slyle Youview + box that BT gave me over a year ago just as a Freeview PVR smart box on another TV.

If you wanted you could use the starter box on an other TV just for Freeview and the main free catch up players.

Darren

0 Ratings
efelstead
Contributor
Message 6 of 59

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply to my question.

My confusion has grown however since my last posting.

I decided to contact BT via the Freephone number which came with my email re BT Sports charges.

I asked a simple direct question ie "Can I use my existing You View box to watch BT Tv and BT Sport

when my BT TV subscription is activated??" bearing in mind I had to accept a BT TV starter pack when ordering BT TV.

The UNEQUIVOCAL answwer was NO!!

I questioned this as to the reason when I am in fact using a BT YOU VIEW box albeit bought from CURRYS.

I was told that my BT TV would be linked to the new YOU VIEW box provided with the starter pack.

When I asked how this would be done if it was not connected to the BT Router there was NO ANSWER!!

ie The operator did not know.

I asked was it done via the Router - again no specific answer

i EXPLAINED my current You View box was vastly superior to the one provided with the Starter pack and this was agreed.

Finally I did get an indication that the BT TV COULD be linked to my current You View but the mechanism and cost involved in doing this could not be ascertained.

ANY COMMENTS on this shambolic situation most welcome!

Why would BT deliberately deny the use of an "externally" purchased YOU VIEW box to accept BT TV other than to push for a more expensive BT TV package.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions - Hope to hear your thoughts!

Edward

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 59

Go to solution

My advice would be to ignore them...Do as has been suggested with your already owned box and I am sure it will work.

The problem with the BT advisors is most of them haven't even seen a YouView box and are going from a piece of paper that says how only the standard items work.

With a bit of luck you might get a reply from a BT TV expert on here that will be able to 100% confirm but I think probably Darren already has.

The only slight anomaly you will get is your retail box will stay on the retail software updates.

0 Ratings
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 59

Go to solution

Hi All!,

Got a similar question to the above, i own a BT YouView box bought from Ebay earlier this year, it was basically brand new,boxed and in excellent working order and i have it connected up to my BT infinity broadband and have got all the freeview and catch-up channels but obviously no BT Sport. I do get BT Sport through our SKY system in a different room but was wondering, if i say, sign up for the Starter pack with BTTV, i know i recieve the basic box but would,as my current BT Youview box is connected to Infinity,be able to use my current box, i was also told no yesterday while on BT Cares twitter page. Thanks for any help provided!

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 9 of 59

Go to solution

I don't see any reason why you can't use your current Youview box as long as its connected to your home hub in some way.
Also I find that the G4 retail box updates seem to be the same updates ad on the old style Youview + box that BT gave me over a year ago.

Darren

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 59

Go to solution

If you sign up for the starter pack, you are provided with a non recordable Youview Box. If you use another recordable Youview Box instead of the supplied non recordable one, will your starter pack stop the recordable Youview Box recording? That is to say, will the Youview Box usage be determined by the Starter Pack on your account?

Not sure I know the answer to that one.

Stew 

0 Ratings