cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ipoppies
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BTTV without a TV

I am posting this because when I researched Google did not find the right answer (I found questions but no answers).

In order to watch BTTV online through the web player an actual Television set and TV Aerial is required. BTTV is not a standalone internet service.

Here's my story:

I opened an online chat with a BT advisor to discuss BTTV requirements. I explained I did not have a TV or aerial as I only watch programmes legitimally online (BBC iPlayer, iTunes etc..). The person on the end of chat advised I could still get the service without connecting the TV box so I went ahead by myself and ordered online. Today, three weeks later (so outside the 2 weeks cancellation period) I attempted to use BTTV for the first time by opening a web browser. The connection was refused:

15004 It appears that TV Everywhere is not activated on your account yet. 

I opened another online chat and was connected to BTTV technical people who after a while confirmed the service is not permissioned to work online if the TV box is not connected up to a TV/Aerial. I asked to cancel under misselling of the product but BT are unable to locate the online chat to verify my story. I suspect this is because the order was not progressed over chat and no account details were exchanged.

I have logged a complaint to take this further under reference 160911-***** otherwise I will need to pay £240 early termination fees.

It has taken several hours to get this far so if like me you do not have a TV and aerial be aware the service is quite old fashioned and requires you to have one.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BTTV without a TV

Have you connected the BT TV box up to the homehub? Can you borrow a TV/screen and connect it to the BT TV box just to set it up. I wonder if you don't do this it doesn't authorise your channels in the first place - just a guess on my part though. See also: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51427/ Anyway a BT TV Expert (official BT employee) should be along tomorrow to let you know what's possible. [BTW note that the law on when you need a TV licence has very recently changed: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence]
ipoppies
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hello and thanks for your interest taking the time to post. If I could borrow a TV and aerial just to initiate the setup I'd settle for that if it's an approved solution. I've had a TV license for many years despite not having a TV - supporting BBC is worth it.
0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Hopefully a BT Expert should be along tomorrow to give full details rather than my guesses...

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 5 of 5

You don't need to have the TV STB connected all the time, just to activate your service. I can probably do it remotely for you. PM me your account number and I'll have a look once the kids are in bed.

Steve
BT TV expertSteveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings