cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BTVision --> YouView = Degraded Service

Our new YouView box and system is worse than the old BTVision (silver box). Rewind, Pause, FF etc worked fine on the old system, but now they are jerky, the system freezes for as many as 30 seconds.

Moreover, the menu system reacts much more slowly than before and the menu interface is less clear.

We are using the same ethernet connection via Comtrend adaptors. It really is a deterrent to watching programmes. Maybe it is a sign - most of it them are utter cr@p anyway! Books are better.

All in all it is a seriously degraded service. And BT have the nerve to raise costs to cover the cost of dull Sports channels that we have never watched and never will. We are still not migrated to the new email. If anything goes wrong with that, it will be the last straw. If there is no easy solution to this YouView problem then I will be wondering if that is grounds for getting out of contract early and switching.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Dode
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BTVision --> YouView = Degraded Service

I've taken all the channels we never watch off the EPG. It speeds things up a little. I also do a power down of the box, leave it for a minute or so and power up again at least once a week. That seems to keep things running OK.

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

If you want to leave, just wait for your letter or email from BT informing you of the latest price rise.  The moment you receive that letter, you can contact BT and cancel the whole lot at no penalty to yourself.

Message 4 of 10

@Dode wrote:

I've taken all the channels we never watch off the EPG. It speeds things up a little. I also do a power down of the box, leave it for a minute or so and power up again at least once a week. That seems to keep things running OK.

Thanks Dode.
I don't understand why this "upgrade" is a downgrade. What was in the old silver BTVision box that is obviously lacking in the Humax DTR-T1000 (the free "upgrade")?
Is the later version - T1010 - any better?
It appears that something is inadequate - flash RAM? HD cache? Buffering? I don't know the tech specs of these boxes. I don't think the problem is internet speed because I see a green Status light much of the time, and we are on Infinity with a HH5.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

What types of programs are you experiencing the issues on  Freeview / Bt Player catchup/on demand / bbc Iplayer  / other on demand players ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@zulu17 wrote:

What types of programs are you experiencing the issues on  Freeview / Bt Player catchup/on demand / bbc Iplayer  / other on demand players ?

Thanks zulu17. Just Freeview. Pity I didn't get around to trying others such as recorded programmes because it looks like a restart has fixed the problem. (Press and hold the on/off button for 5 secs minimum)

So I guess the cache fills up and it takes a restart to clear it - is it on RAM? Or on the HDD? It must be smaller than on the old silver BTV box. Or is it a Linux-related issue? (old BTvision was Windows)

It is odd that this problem is not on the Troubleshooting/Help FAQs or anywhere else on the Help pages.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

So I guess the cache fills up and it takes a restart to clear it - is it on RAM? Or on the HDD? It must be smaller than on the old silver BTV box. Or is it a Linux-related issue? (old BTvision was Windows)

The later generation boxes have a better hardware spec than the earlier ones. For example I believe the 1st generation silver box has 128MB of system RAM, the 2nd generation black boxes have 256MB or 512MB (depending on the exact model), and the 3rd generation Youview box has 640MB. Not sure about the 4th generation Youview box but I suspect at least 1GB.

Caches are designed to allow fast access to data that is required in the very near future or very regularly. They can be implemented at different levels such as hardware, OS, middleware, application software and in different forms such as on micro-chips, system RAM or HDD (hard-disk drive) storage.

No cache area should 'fill up' and require a reboot of the system to clear it out. If this is the case then it is down to badly written code. The system should use/manage any cache area efficiently and free up space in it automatically. If they are present then any such coding errors are highly unlikely at the hardware or OS level, less likely in middleware, and much more likely to be in the top layer BT application software. We don't know if cache problems are the cause of the black BT Vision and Youview box performance problems though. It could be other things.

I will say that if you moved from the silver Vision box running the Classic software to the Youview box then you were lucky. If you think the Youview box is unreliable then you should try the New Look software on the black Vision boxes!  Smiley LOL

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:
Is the later version - T1010 - any better?

I don't think there is much difference spec wise between the Humax/BT DTR-T1000 and Humax DTR-T1010. The latter is a retail Humax badged model. 

The newer BT issued G4 box (still made by Humax) is the DTR-T2100. There is also a retail version, the DTR-T2110 that also has the BT badge on it. Humax have also now brought out a retail Humax badged DTR-T2000.

If you asked BT to upgrade from the DTR-T1000 then I think they would send you a DTR-T2100 (at a cost).

See  http://home.bt.com/news/btlife/bt-launches-smallest-youview-box-yet-11363879465221

Highlighted
andymerrett2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Does the Humax YouView box have less reliable/solid tuners in it than the silver BT Vision box? I ask because we had very good reception under BT Vision but now some channels (Five, Film4) break up and we keep getting the dreaded YVM302 signal quality alert message, every 10 seconds!

Nothing has changed except the box, as far as we can tell. Really not impressed if we have been given something that cannot handle serving Freeview, after a box that could. Seriously annoyed with BT at this whole debacle.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Just caught up with this thread. Thanks to all for the replies.

0 Ratings