Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 23

Re: BTs' Youview Vision

This is interesting, from the youview website:

YouView and its partners will continue to monitor innovation with wireless technology and may include support for WiFi in a future software release.

How can you include wifi support in a software release if there is no wireless hardware in the box?

0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 23

@jlh478 wrote:

This is interesting, from the youview website:

YouView and its partners will continue to monitor innovation with wireless technology and may include support for WiFi in a future software release.

How can you include wifi support in a software release if there is no wireless hardware in the box?

A USB wi-fi adaptor maybe. My TV boasted about supporting wireless and when I read it properly it meant buying a wireless adaptor for £70.

0 Ratings
ChrisC
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 23

On that bit about ISP mobility, any YouView box should run the backwards EPG and catch up TV service on any ISP. Naturally you'll only get BT Vision on a BT line, which is why there's a contact to get the box from BT. Should make for an interesting market
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 23

@ChrisC wrote:
On that bit about ISP mobility, any YouView box should run the backwards EPG and catch up TV service on any ISP. Naturally you'll only get BT Vision on a BT line, which is why there's a contact to get the box from BT. Should make for an interesting market

Interesting. And yes, what you said above is true. But I've been doing a bit of reading of other forums today. And your not gonna beleive this about TalkTalk -

If anyone has an independent YV box (meaning either a Pace or Humax) and you get a TalkTalk BB line, when you access the TT Player, they will only give/allow you access to Lovefilm. For which you have to pay. There is NO on demand content and NO TV.

The no TV bit is not a surprise, but the no on demand? Call that a Player? NOT.

Unlike BT, who are offering Humax YV users full access to the BT Vision on demand content on a BT BB line. Isn't the above a turn up for the books?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
bsavill
Beginner
Message 15 of 23

Just noticed that you can not get Sky Sports 1 and 2 on the You View box no point in having it then
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 23

A question regarding the BT YouView - Humax box.

Can anyone who has experience of using the Humax DTR-T1000 box confirm how it handles the increased audio dynamic range that the BBC and Channel 4 set for certain programmes transmitted on the Freeview-HD channels?

I bought a new TV back in 2010 and went for a Panasonic Freeview-HD model. The picture on the Freeview-HD channels is fantastic, but the audio on the BBC and Channel 4 channels has somewhat spoiled the whole experience. At first I suspected it was a fault with my TV, but after searching around on the Internet I found it affected many TVs and boxes and is due to the way certain programmes are transmitted. It is meant to be an "improvement", but many would disagree.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then do a bit of searching on the web and you should soon come across posts related to it. Put simply the difference between the loud bits and the quiet bits is much greater on certain programmes. The audio range has not been compressed as much as it is on Freeview-SD channels. 

The reason why I ask is that this "issue" alone would stop me personally buying a YouView box unless there was more scope for the user to choose how the box should process the audio.

0 Ratings
swedish_cook
Contributor
Message 17 of 23

@umpire wrote:

A question regarding the BT YouView - Humax box.

Can anyone who has experience of using the Humax DTR-T1000 box confirm how it handles the increased audio dynamic range that the BBC and Channel 4 set for certain programmes transmitted on the Freeview-HD channels?

I bought a new TV back in 2010 and went for a Panasonic Freeview-HD model. The picture on the Freeview-HD channels is fantastic, but the audio on the BBC and Channel 4 channels has somewhat spoiled the whole experience. At first I suspected it was a fault with my TV, but after searching around on the Internet I found it affected many TVs and boxes and is due to the way certain programmes are transmitted. It is meant to be an "improvement", but many would disagree.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then do a bit of searching on the web and you should soon come across posts related to it. Put simply the difference between the loud bits and the quiet bits is much greater on certain programmes. The audio range has not been compressed as much as it is on Freeview-SD channels. 

The reason why I ask is that this "issue" alone would stop me personally buying a YouView box unless there was more scope for the user to choose how the box should process the audio.

Sound is still an area they are working on, manily to enable 5.1 output, I have seen no options related to dynamic range - generally I would look to the amp or TV for that though, how is it handled on other PVRs you've seen. I know my Yamaha amp can do dynamic range adaption.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 23

If you have a normal setup - Youview PVR plugged into the TV and sound coming from the TV then it's not as good as it can be. I do not understand why my Sony TV can produce acceptable sound at the right volume but the youview box cannot given the same source. The last HD programme I recorded was Parade's End and on the last programme there was a trumpet solo where the clarity of the notes was destroyed by whatever encoding they used. This affected the whole sound but was most noticeable there. I have raised this in the youview forums and they are making changes to the 5.1 output at some point but I don't know whether this will fix my problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 23

It will be interesting to see what people think when both the BT YouView HD and BT Vision HD boxes are in general use and more people have access to Freeview-HD channels.

Just to make it clear I was talking about the audio volume range. There also was/is a separate issue related to 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Digital transcoding. I don't have an amp or surround sound system so haven't been affected by that. I'm just using my TVs built in stereo speakers.

See this thread and this thread for some more information.

Some TVs and boxes may present the increased volume range in different ways? I can only comment on my experience, and over the last 2 years there have been many times when I have switched back to SD rather than HD because it is difficult to hear speech in certain programmes (particularly some films). Turning the volume up is not a solution as then the loud bits, such as cars chases, explosions, etc., are too loud. Plus if the next programme on the channel has been compressed then the whole programme is too loud.

It may well sound great with a home theatre and 5.1 surround sound, but the BBC, Channel 4 and the equipment manufacturers shouldn't forget the majority of people who just use a simple TV/PVR set up.

0 Ratings
teeddy36
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 23

I have a great surround sound set up and watching hd through my tv still does not work sometimes. Sound on freeview HD sucks sometime.
Lucky I have freesat in my tv too and the sound is great on HD. Fingers crossed bt HD does the same.
0 Ratings