cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regsy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BTvision box not supported by BT

BT will not supply BTVision to a BT vision box unless they supply you with the box, even though they are on sale at various outlets and BT itself says :

"BT Sport is now available on YouView boxes not bought directly from BT. To enjoy BT Sport you'll need our new BT Player Essential package below and BT Infinity.

Please call us on 0800 085 2795 to place your order."

Spent 5 hours on the phone and BTvision will be connected on teh 29th, teh day our BT box arrives, we didn't want it and have no need of it, we were told to return our bought box to the seller for a refund, that we didn't have infinity (we do) they don't support BT branded boxes and a whole host of other excuses but apparently no way of fulfilling their advert.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: BTvision box not supported by BT

Hi,

I am a new YouView user and obtained my box from BT.  My friend on other hand has standard no BT logo'd box and can see the BT app.

Am uncertain why you need a box obtained from BT but would wait for a forum moderator to comment on this!.

cg

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

Hi Regsy,

Do you have the BT Vision box or the YouView Box? If you have a YouView Box bought from the high street, then BT Sport is now available on YouView boxes not bought directly from BT. 

You will need to sign up The Player Essential package. If you would like more information on this, click Here

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 24

Yes Paddy, but the OP seems to have tried that route and the CS staff have refused to add the package to his purchased Youview Box and sent him another BT Youview Box.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Hi StewM,

When I read the OP's post I wasn't sure if they had BT Vision box instead of YouView. If he has YouView box that they got off the high street, then they should be able to sign up using that process.

This wouldn't be the case if they got a BT Vision box from a 3rd party. 

@Regsy, if you already had a YouView box I can get this investigated. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile. 

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 24

Re-reading the OPs post he seems to be saying he has a BT Vision box which he has obtained somehow not via BT, but then quotes the Youview BT Player advert as a reason why he should be able to sign up to BT TV?

The BT Player service is for Youview Retail boxes, not BT Vision boxes. Simple as that. No-one should be buying BT Vision boxes other than direct from BT (and I think that won't be going on much longer anyway as BT moves wholly to Youview).

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 24

I was supposing that as the OP had put his question in the BT Youview discussion the opening question on here together with https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-the-Box/Retail-Youview-box-and-BT-Sport-pls-clear-up-once-an... that he had in fact bought a Humax BT Youview Box.
Let's see what his response is.
0 Ratings
Regsy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

HI,

I have a youview box with BT vision built in, a BT logo on the front and all over the instructions.  When we contacted BT they refused to sign us up to the player package unless they supplied us with a box.  When we pointed out that we had a box they repeatedly tols us to send it back, which is very rude and although the player page states otherwise no one in our 5 hour call marathon could let us subscribe to any BT TV service without having a box sent out, we agreed to the £35 connection fees and everything but under no circumstances would they just allow us to subscribe.

One assisstant demanded to know where we had seen this advert for non BT supplied boxes in a tone that suggested we were lying.  But after 4.5 hours on the phone at this point I couldn't remember it was only after I saw it ont the BTplayer page again, we rang back and were met with the "no we can't physically sign you up without sending you a box, which if you decide you don't want TV before 12 months is up we will charge you for" We don't want your box and by this point I was almost ready to say I don't want your phone line, BT Infinity or anything else.

But there you have it as far as I can see its exactly the same 500gb Humax box that they are pointlessly sending out.

As you can imagine this was very very frustrating at the time but really the amount of people who can buy a box at Amazon or PC World then have to go through all this while BT are saying that we will connect up your box is simply beyond belief.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

I agree that the different services offered on different Youview boxes seems a totally unnecessary complication that just confuses many potential customers.

When Youview was first announced a few years back I was under the impression that the Youview specifications would be clearly laid down and different manufacturers could then make and sell different boxes which all met the minimum specification (PVR, IPTV, etc). The shape, size, colour, brand of the box wouldn't matter. It also wouldn't matter whether it was bought from a high street shop, on-line shop, or provided by an ISP. Once you had a Youview compliant box you could pick and choose which services you subscribed to. It was accepted that some ISP's might only provide certain services if you used them as your broadband provider. Though not ideal that seemed understandable and it would be nothing to do with the hardware.

Unfortunately we seem to have ended up with a situation where you need to have the right box for the services you want. If You want certain TalkTalk services you need a TalkTalk box. If you want certain BT services you need a BT box. Retai Humax boxes are treated as second class. Then to complicate things further BT seem to allow well established high street retailers to sell BT branded boxes that are identical to the ones they provide, but for some strange reason won't allow all the BT services on them. This isn't made clear to potential customers though. Why on earth do BT allow BT badged boxes to be sold in this manner? Digging deeper reveals forks in the software and yet more complication.

Why did Youview not stick to the original idea? I think it would have been much more successful by now if they had. Recently a relative asked me about BT Youview boxes seen on sale in shops. To be honest by the time I had tried to even give them the simplified version of the facts their eyes had glazed over and they had stopped listening. People just want a simple clear service and for it to be obvious what they are buying.

P.S. For my sins (subscribing to Sky Sports) I have to put up with the very flaky New Look software on the BT Vision+ box so I'll shut up now. Smiley Happy

Guru
Message 10 of 24

Ditto.
0 Ratings