cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kilmarnockdave
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Bad picture quality

Whenever I watch BT Sport the signal quality is awful. The picture always goes crackly and fuzzy and often blacks out completely. I realise this comes through the Internet signal but I've never had a problem with the Internet connection other than this. Is there any way this can be improved as it's really not worth my while subscribing to BT Sports if the signal is always this bad.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Bad picture quality

How is the box connected to your router & what speeds do you get?

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 3 of 8

Also are you getting this via fibre or normal broadband?
0 Ratings
Kilmarnockdave
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

My box is connected to the router via ethernet cable. I'll double check my speeds when I get home but I believe when I download things I usually get 1.7mbps or thereabouts. I have normal broadband.
0 Ratings
monarchjock
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Check your speed at speedtest.btwholesale.com  

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Speed is likely to be the issue I suspect.

What's it like when you do catchup with iPlayer or the like & are you viewing in HD or SD?

0 Ratings
Kilmarnockdave
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Watching iPlayer/youtube/twitch etc is absolutely fine, I can watch YouTube videos on 1080p without any issues. I can even stream BT Sport online without any issues. I really have trouble with the YouView box at peak times though (evenings and weekends).

I've ran the diagnostics suggested above and the results are:

Download Speed (Mbps): 9.96

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.94

Ping Latency (ms): 34.63

Is there anything that can be done to improve the picture quality? BT Sport is virtually unwatchable.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

The fact you mention it's bad at peak times suggests that there's probably a congestion problem & until BT/OpenReach do something about that then there isn't much you can do.

I think you'll find that the Youview box uses a higher bitrate for the internet channels , like BT sport , than iPlayer or streaming to your PC so you're more likely to see the problem on the Youview box.

0 Ratings